Lowrance HDS water proof?

Esperanza-time

Wanting to mount new HDS live out on the deck, rain and salt spray…. It says water proof but are the units “west coast water proof”???

Nothing is waterproof. I’ve seen a few folks with units out on the back decks in the elements. I’m sure they’d work okay but their life spans would be shortened vs one under cover. Moisture, salt, and humidity will destroy anything in time.

the old units with a sound making alarm, that is where the water would come in.
I had units mounted outside but always had a raincover overtop when done fishing. condensation on the screen can be a problem, so a fresh pak of absorbent crystals inside the sounder is best.

and any plug socket exposed will corrode out and no sunshade and will be hard to view in bright daylight ..(newer screens have got lots better )
if you have a hard top mount 'em up on that in the middle best place for them ...

for the sharp eyed yes the lower one is back to front just doing the connections and cable layout runs ....lol
IMAG0458.jpg

the simrad evo series is water proof. i spray mine with a garden hose when i return from boating. no issues for over 10 years now.
light spray only but it gets the salt off.
ive found that if i dont spray the connections tend to corrode and turn green over time and the cables need replacement.

Back