Lowrance HDS quit working

big.griff

wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the Lowrance HDS not powering on. This is a HDS 8 Gen 2. Worked last time I used it, moved my 7 from the rear station and it works in the 8's spot so i know it's not wiring.

I would still check the fuse for corrosion as I just went through this on a HDS 9 gen2. We had volts but not enough amps on the wire and it would not power up. If it's the stock barrel fuse clean the ends of the fuse and then push the wire/contact out of the fuse holder and give that a clean with light sandpaper.

Strange. They are pretty bombproof. If you bought it at the Chandler and there is something wrong with it they will probably just replace it. Mike Perkins told me he tried hooking one up to insane power levels and could never get the voltage shout down feature to fail. He plugged it back in to regular power cord and unit worked just fine. He said you can't fry them.

Let's hope so. Don't have much experience dealing with Mikes replacement but he told me yesterday that he wasn't sure it would have any warranty on it. We will find out today I guess

Let's hope so. Don't have much experience dealing with Mikes replacement but he told me yesterday that he wasn't sure it would have any warranty on it. We will find out today I guess

Try a soft reset first. I think it's power and hold pages button. You have to cut power at least a minute connect and hold two buttons until screen turns on.

There is also a hard reset. Just look on Lowrance page.

Try a soft reset first. I think it's power and hold pages button. You have to cut power at least a minute connect and hold two buttons until screen turns on.

There is also a hard reset. Just look on Lowrance page.
Tried both of those already. No luck.

Wait and find out if under warranty. If not pull it apart and start diagnosing with a multimeter. I think you can disassemble fairly easily. It could be something simple.
Thats a good call. Thought about trying to open it up but didn't want to void the warranty if there is warranty

Being a former FAA certified Electronics Tech I highly urge you to not muck with it. Unless you have the proper equipment to prevent electrostatic damage, you can do much harm. It is highly likely that the inside's are sprayed with a coating that prevents corrosion & you won't get an accurate measurement w/o stripping that coating.

Being a former FAA certified Electronics Tech I highly urge you to not muck with it. Unless you have the proper equipment to prevent electrostatic damage, you can do much harm. It is highly likely that the inside's are sprayed with a coating that prevents corrosion & you won't get an accurate measurement w/o stripping that coating.
I see your point and really have 0.0 skill in diagnosing any sort of circuit board type things but if it's just a paperweight, then I see no harm in cracking it open and looking for something obvious.

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Support/service-support/

This is for the US but should be the same in Canada. If you did not purchase the extended warranty, are out of warranty but still within 5 years of purchase, you may be eligible for an upgrade offer for failed units. As to if the discounted price is worth it, that is another story. Generally they don't like bad PR and would prefer to keep you happy and as a customer, so warm up your negotiating skills and see what you can work out, who knows, they may even replace it or provide the upgrade offer past 5 years.

If you bought it new (not refurbished) on a MasterCard, they have a card perk that doubles your warranty. You may be out of warranty with Lowrance but still within the MasterCard extended warranty. I have made claims successfully through MasterCard.

Last edited:
Back