Long distance towing and window protection

island idiots

Toward the end of April I will be towing my project boat, a 21 foot K&C to the West Kootenays. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on protecting the 2 level windshield from rocks and stone chips enroute?
There are some products out there, but I was hoping to create my own system but thought I would ask...
Thanks in advance!

I have used outdoor carpet and put the soft side over the windows. Also the carpet they use in speaker boxes works well.

I figure the best protection without getting one of those real fancy rock guards that attaches to your trailer would be a good rock guard flap on the back of your truck. 99% of rocks will come off the tow vehicle, not other vehicles.

If this just for the one trip then cut a piece of old carpet and zap strap it under the back of your truck. I used to do that sometimes for the long haul down the dirt road to Bamfield. Sure cardboard on the windshield or carpet dangling off the back of the truck looks tacky, but if it's only for one trip who cares?

Make sure the carpet if used as a mudflap does not touch the ground or it will pick up rocks and sling them at your boat.

Back