Limoncello

seadna

Last night I finished up making a 1.5l batch of Limoncello. It came out great and it's really simple:

Take a 750ml bottle of a clear alcohol - I used 151 proof Everclear. Peel the yellow part of the skin off of 4-6 lemons - you want just the oily yellow part and none (or very little) of the white rind. It works best with a vegetable peeler and if you go around in a spiral to keep the skin in large chunks. Put the 750ml of alcohol in a large container (like a pitcher), add the lemon peels, cover and place in a cool dry place (like a closed cabinet). I open up the cabinet and swirl it every day or so for 5-7 days. Transfer into another container to strain out the lemon peels. Take 3.5 cups (or a little over 800mls) of pure water and add it to a sauce pan with 2 cups (about 500mls) of white sugar. I use bottled water so as to avoid any taste from the tap water. Heat the water until the sugar is dissolved. Let that cool and add it to the lemon infused alcohol. Bottle and store refrigerated. You wind up with about twice as much limoncello as the starting volume of alcohol. So if you use the "high test" Everclear, your limoncello will be 75 proof. That has a nice kick to it.

Interesting.......wonder how that would work with over proof rum.......hummmmm

Back