Lightning Strike Causes Whiskey Firenado At Jim Beam Factory

agentaqua

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/firenado-fuelled-jim-beam

Lightning Strike Causes Whiskey Firenado At Jim Beam Factory

September 6, 2015 | by Danielle Andrew

Photo credit: Screenn capture of YouTube video. The Weather Channel

Firenado. Not only one of the cooler words ever mashed together out of the Queens English, but it also describes one of the most incredible fire based phenomena ever too.

According to The Weather Channel, the ‘firenado’ you can watch below was created after a lightning bolt struck a Jim Beam factory, and 800,000 liters of whisky flowed into the nearby lake.

What a waste.

Firenado’s require specific conditions to occur. An ignited flammable liquid sitting on top of a body of water must also have specific weather conditions in order to whip the flames into an upwards funnel.

Luckily the fire was contained by the lake, but unfortunately some of the escaping whisky flowed into a nearby lake and killed many fish.

(Also a sad waste)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d440kLNXk9A?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[ILuckily the fire was contained by the lake, but unfortunately some of the escaping whisky flowed into a nearby lake and killed many fish.][/I].

But at least they died happy!

This happened in 2003 and killed almost 20,000 fish, AA why isn't it in the conservation section? I wonder if it would be so amusing were it a different product toxic to fish that caused a lake to light on fire? How did it get into the water, why aren't there containment measure to prevent it, does this industry fall under different regs than others that produce products that can have these same consequences? People are funny creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody likes whiskey.

This happened in 2003 and killed almost 20,000 fish, AA why isn't it in the conservation section? I wonder if it would be so amusing were it a different product toxic to fish that caused a lake to light on fire? How did it get into the water, why aren't there containment measure to prevent it, does this industry fall under different regs than others that produce products that can have these same consequences? People are funny creatures.

Hey lighten up TN-- Its not as if they were "real" fish!!!!! Primarily freshwater rockfish-- aka BASS! LOL

Hey lighten up TN-- Its not as if they were "real" fish!!!!! Primarily freshwater rockfish-- aka BASS! LOL

Yeah I should probably lighten up but I wasn't really referring to the fish. I was making more of a social commentary. I was curious why AA who's primary agenda here is clear chose to handle this article as he did and why the regular group of anti everything industry related people were so conspicuously absent. People get up in arms about proposals before anything actually happens, but on a fishing board 20,000 fish are killed and it's comical. Would the response have been the same if it was a condensate leak? People are funny creatures.

Either way it is a catastrophe of monumental proportions-800000 gals of whiskey lost and also 20000 fish as well!! Can't get much worse!!

Back