Licensed fish processing plants..how does it work with possession limits?

Islandgirl

Just curious.. If you take your possession limit into one of these plants, how does it work for your possession limits if you want to continue to fish?

When you transport your catch home?

The fish are processed with your license# and their processing # the qty is wriiten and accepted as such if stopped by fisheries the # of packages are also recorded.

Still counts, possesion is possesion. If they find reason to search your freezer that is possesion, to my knowledge.

I believe once dropped off to be shipped home it's not in you possession anymore .

Come to think about that I do remember that a DFO officer told me once on the bus and home he did not care, so was that just him or as you say, the law?

I believe once dropped off to be shipped home it's not in you possession anymore .

Still counts, possesion is possesion. If they find reason to search your freezer that is possesion, to my knowledge.

No, that's wrong!
Dave

Once it ARRIVES at your ordinary place of residence, it is no longer considered part of your possession!

I believe the above reply is correct. Regardless of a processor having it or you have it in the boat or the cooler at camp, it is part of your possesion limit until it is at your ordinary place of residence.

Maybe there will be changes to Possesion/Transport with Halibut identification guidelines, but I don't see it getting any easier, likely more stringent...

I would like to know if fishing for halibut is a sport fishery or a meat fishery. I go out with my kids to enjoy the water , if we catch something it's a bonus. What I see on this thread is charter guys going out twice a day to make as much money as possible. I also read a guy complaining about if you were in a derby why go out on the second day cause you can't catch a big fish. Start having a secret weight to win the derby. Start opening your minds to change guys cause things will change. If you are in on those discussions you have a chance to (guide) it the way you want it for your kids. So quit bitching and asking for more more more, cause to the average mom n pop sporty it looks like greed is the main thread on all these pages . I'm happy to get out on the water for 7 or8days a year and the kids are just as happy catching a red snapper as they are a spring.

Hopefully you will be at the meeting on Wednesday night. Your voice is needed

IMO, because of the relatively high capital investment, heavy tackle, short rods, Hali fishing fishing is more of a meat sport. This time of year is intense because of very favorable tides and guys are eager to get out after winter.

You can catch salmon almost everywhere and almost all year. You know the length of the open salmon season. Not so with Hali. No predicting when DFO will arbitrarily close it to sport fishing.

"You can catch salmon almost everywhere and almost all year. You know the length of the open salmon season."

Sadly, i think those days are coming to a close.:(

Back