Letter to PM Harper

IronNoggin

This was sent last Friday:

"Dear Prime Minister Harper,

I am writing to appraise you and your cabinet of an impending Scandal that has a very good chance of effecting the outcome of the pending election:

At this point in time I am reasonably certain you are aware of the growing concerns regarding the Fair and Equitable Allocation of the Halibut Resource in the Pacific. The matter to which I refer is directly related.

In this Country, it is fact and Legal Prerequisite that a
properly "Licensed Commercial Vessel" is required to own or procure halibut quota.
However an investigation of the Public Records of the "Vessels" these Licenses have been, and continue to be issued to today, leads to many questions. (Reference: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Ops/VRNdirectory/LicReportSelect.cfm)
Many are registered with simple "K" or "BC" number registrations, which are very much NOT commercial fishing vessels (which require a CFV - Commercial Fishing Vessel assignment). And many are far to small in size, as little as NINE Feet, to realistically fall into the range of Legal Classification.

The majority of the "vessels" that fall into this non-compliant category are held by absentee Quota Holders as a method of eliminating related operational expenses. "Absentee" in that these individuals do not set foot on a working fishing vessel, preferring to lease their quotas at grossly inflated prices to those who actually do engage in active fishing. All of the "vessels" that are associated with the above noted discrepancies fall outside the scope of the Legal Description of Licensed Commercial Fishing Vessels, and as such are
ILLEGAL under Canadian Law. Thus, any and all Halibut Quota assigned to those same "vessels" have been issued inappropriately, and therefore contravene the Legal Mechanisms in place regarding the terms of procurement and ownership of the same. This is not simply a limited case of a singular incidence nor a one time occurrence. In fact the number of "vessels" that fall into the Illegal Classification are numerous, and a review of the relevant Public Records well indicate this practice has been in effect for many years.

While at this point it is somewhat difficult to decidedly prove collusion between the related Quota Holders and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in this matter, one would think that even a cursory inspection by anyone within the Department with an understanding of the Legal Requirements would have noticed these discrepancies well before now. Thus, DFO, whether by collusion or gross dereliction of duty, is actively involved in the commission of ongoing illegal activities relating to the issuance of Halibut Quota to non-conforming "vessel" owners.

One would tend to perceive that this matter should be of grave concern for a Government facing the distinct possibility of an impending election. The ensuing scandal would obviously not add to your cause of re-election, and in fact quite obviously would have the reverse effect.

The issue of Allocation regarding the halibut resource has become a very heated matter, with a great many noting extreme displeasure with your Minister's ruling that the General Public may now purchase rights of access to
their own resource (according to the Supreme Court of Canada) from those same absentee owners, many of which are directly involved in the above noted illegal acts of procurement. The angst amongst the Recreational Sector is growing daily in British Columbia and spreading eastward in a rapid manner. The level of that angst has not perhaps been overly noticeable in Ottawa, but is extremely likely to cost your Party seats in numerous ridings were an election to be called forthwith. A related scandal regarding the matter described above carries serious potential of costing even more.

As with all such matters, timing plays a significant role. I would tend to believe that a Statement from Yourself regarding the Conservative Party's position regarding returning the halibut resource to its' rightful owners, All the People of Canada, would go a long way towards diffusing the current situation in Western Canada. And may well preclude the necessity of this significant matter regarding illegal Licenses of Convenience and related inappropriate quota assignment to the same from going public until such time as an election has been completed. Alternatively, there are several investigative reporters poised to introduce this matter to the Canadian Public immediately, whether or not an election is forthcoming. The decision of just how this now proceeds is very much in your hands.

In the past, inquiries related to these matters have been redirected from your Office to that of Minister Shea's. I am directly requesting that at this juncture a reply be forthcoming from your own Office in alternative.

I look forward to your timely response. Given this is a time sensitive issue and in recognition of your overly busy schedule, I am affording you two days hence to reply before pursuing this matter any further.

Sincerely,

Me
"

And the reply:

Dear Mr. Stabler:
On behalf of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, I would like to thank you for your recent e-mail.

Please be assured that your comments have been noted and that they will receive due consideration from the Minister, who has already received a copy of your correspondence.

M.F. Bustos
Manager/Gestionnaire
Executive Correspondence Services
for the Prime Minister's Office

WRONG ANSWER!

I'll post the follow-up shortly. I want to ensure the RCMP Commissioner and Attorney General have it in hand before going public...

Cheers,
Nog

Good letter Nog. Way to go!

Are these people so arrogant that they can't hear what we are all saying? They are there in Ottawa to "Work" for the people of this country when it is election time, but once the election is over, they really just don't seem to give a damned what we would like, need or have to say.

DEAF, DUMB and BLIND! Is this a prerequisite to be this way or to just be able to act this way in order to be a politician in our country?

Great letter IronNoggin! Let's see how they react to this one.

Have you had a chance to talk to a lawyer regarding if this situation has a legal standing and may have the potential to go to court if need be?

The following was submitted to the RCMP Commissioner William Elliot, the Attorney Generals of Canada and BC, the Auditor General, Justice Minister and the Chief Supreme Court Justice this date. Now being circulated to the media, and members of the Opposition:

"Notification of Federal Department of Fisheries & Oceans Direct Involvement in Illegal Licensing Scheme

I am writing to inform your Organizations of DFO's involvement in an Illegal Licensing Scheme related to the issuance of Halibut Quota, and to request an Investigation of this matter be conducted by the Proper Legal Authorities immediately.

In Canada, it is fact and Legal Prerequisite that a properly "Licensed Commercial Vessel" is required to own or procure halibut quota.
However an investigation of the Public Records of the "Vessels" these Licenses have been, and continue to be issued to today, leads to the conclusion that certain commercial operators are openly non-compliant with the related Legislation and are supported in this action by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. (Reference: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Ops/VRNdirectory/LicReportSelect.cfm)
Many are registered with simple "K" or "BC" number registrations, which are very much NOT commercial fishing vessels (which require a CFV - Commercial Fishing Vessel assignment). And many are far to small in size, as little as nine Feet, to realistically fall into the range of Legal Classification.

The majority of the "vessels" that fall into these non-compliant categories are held by absentee Quota Holders as a method of eliminating related operational expenses. "Absentee" in that these individuals do not set foot on a working fishing vessel, preferring to lease their quotas at grossly inflated prices to those who actually do engage in active fishing. All of the "vessels" that are associated with the above noted discrepancies fall outside the scope of the Legal Description of Licensed Commercial Fishing Vessels, and as such are ILLEGAL under Canadian Law. Thus, any and all Halibut Quota assigned to those same "vessels" have been issued inappropriately, and therefore contravene the Legal Mechanisms in place regarding the terms of procurement and ownership of the same. This is not simply a limited case of a singular incidence nor a one time occurrence. In fact the number of "vessels" that fall into the Illegal Classification are numerous, and a review of the relevant Public Records well indicate this practice has been in effect for many years.

Your Organizations represent the Proper Legal Authorities for investigating collusion between the related Quota Holders and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in this matter, so it is for that explicit reason I am contacting you today. When informed of these findings, DFO has provided disparate and convoluted replies ranging from
This procedure is addressed in a Private In-House Manual not available to the General Public, to requests for specific Vessel and related Licensing Information, even going so far as to indicate that a plank, flower pot, row boat, or smaller sport fishing boat is fine with DFO, if it is registered. It was noted that "Vessels" that are de-commissioned, sunk, or sold to foreign interests would result in suspension of quota. However there exists no communication protocol between DFO and Transport Canada in this regard. Thus DFO is not aware of the number of existing Licenses that may have been issued to vessels falling within this non-compliant description.

The Department's assertions aside, the existence of an
In-House Policy Manual nor the in-house mindset amongst those involved in DFO forgives them the requirement to ensure their actions are compliant with existing Legislation directly intended to govern their responsibilities and resultant actions. Simply put, acting outside of that Legislation, as they are in this matter, would require an Act of Parliament or Supreme Court Ruling to proceed. Thus, DFO, by collusion and gross dereliction of duty, is actively involved in the commission of ongoing illegal activities relating to the issuance of Halibut Quota to non-conforming "vessel" owners.

It is an extremely serious matter when a Federal Ministry takes upon itself the determination of their compliance of Legislation and Rule of Law specifically in place to govern their very operations. In this particular matter, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has intentionally chosen to ignore the Rule of Law that specifically sets forth what is, and what is not allowable regarding the holding and procurement of Commercial Halibut Quota in the Pacific Region. As those actions are well outside of their own mandate, and well outside of the pertinent Legislation, I am hereby requesting a Formal Investigation be conducted to determine the extent of non-compliance from DFO in this matter.

I am available at your convenience to discuss this matter, any related clarification and/or issues of concern.
I am looking forward to hearing from each of you that this matter will be afforded the attention it deserves in a timely manner.

Sincerely,
"

Awaiting their responses... ;)
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
The link noted in your letters no longer seems to work. Was it taken down as a result of your actions, I wonder?

Great letters, bye the way!

The removal of that link isn't overly unexpected. That is exactly why clean and dated copies exist.
Nice to see it still up though.

Thanks for the comment on the letters. Appreciated. ;)

Cheers,
Nog

PM incoming but you need to clear some space.
GLG

is the 10k number not just considered the name of the vessel and the VRN is the CFV?

Also it would be nice to see the amount of quota attached to the licenses. I understand that all Halibut licenses must carry a minimum amount of quota on it approx 700lbs. I would like to know how many of the licenses hold minimum quota that has been sold through a trust agreement but cannot be transferred because of the minimum quota rule.

is the 10k number not just considered the name of the vessel and the VRN is the CFV?

Also it would be nice to see the amount of quota attached to the licenses. I understand that all Halibut licenses must carry a minimum amount of quota on it approx 700lbs. I would like to know how many of the licenses hold minimum quota that has been sold through a trust agreement but cannot be transferred because of the minimum quota rule.
So..fistFall.. you're not a commie? :D

Was just curious. I read the letter and followed the links and it looks like all those vessels have a vrn number. Talked with DFO licensing and it is the vrn number that is used to attach a license. Was just looking for clarification. Also I could not find a definition of what qualifies a vessel as commercial. I know there are some small operators out of victoria that use a glorified herring punt to catch hali and then dock sell it to the public.

Not so sure that it will change anything except bring on another federal election (4th in 7 years)
I realize many on this forum want the conservatives out over the fisheries issues but i'm not convinced the other party's are the answer either.
Another federal election is not my idea of tax dollars well spent in this economy.

Dear John,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to not only share your comments but to also engage in the election by sending me some good questions.

I agree that the issue of the halibut fisheries is not about conservation. This important issue is about supporting fairness in our halibut fisheries. This means that we need to allow our recreational fisherman to take a more balanced portion of the halibut resource and we must provide reasonable compensation to commercial fisherman who rightfully hold quota. We need to have a fair and balanced allocation for recreational fishers so they can plan and have a successful fishing season.

Thank you once again for your email and I hope that on May 2 you'll vote for me, Troy DeSouza.

Dear John,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to not only share your comments but to also engage in the election by sending me some good questions.

I agree that the issue of the halibut fisheries is not about conservation. This important issue is about supporting fairness in our halibut fisheries. This means that we need to allow our recreational fisherman to take a more balanced portion of the halibut resource and we must provide reasonable compensation to commercial fisherman who rightfully hold quota. We need to have a fair and balanced allocation for recreational fishers so they can plan and have a successful fishing season.

Thank you once again for your email and I hope that on May 2 you'll vote for me, Troy DeSouza.

Say that AGAIN! Wow, a totally different ring than we were all getting a few months ago:confused:. MUST BE ELECTION TIME! Now can we hold them to that?? I still want to hear Harper and the DFO Minister say it (Publicly), hell it would be nice if they put it in writing for those of us that are near deaf that way they could see it too!;).

In his defense, he was chiming the same comments a month ago at the SFAB meeting in Victoria, its not just a sudden election urge. Says he made a plea face to face with Shea to change things, but could tell he was in a serious battle and he at that point was on the losing end of it. Better effort than the yutz Duncan.

A friend of mine attend a fund raiser last Weds night for Troy D. In Troy's speech to the attendees he dedicated 20% of his time to talking about how the 88/12 % is wrong and that the 12% needs a bigger piece of the pie.

Troy has shown up at the miscellaneous fish advisory meeting and it appears Troy is supporting the 12% side from what i've heard and seen.

The Liberal party is starting to say the same thing or are they just tagging along. I haven't seen the Liberal party show up to any of the meeting yet so does she really know what's going on or just riding the bus to get votes??

Back