LED light bar

the butcher

can someone give me some feedback on installing an LED lightbar on top of a hardtop? want to get lights for early morning runs to the fishing grounds for more safety when heading out early.

Does condensation build up and burn out LEDs? Is there too much glare from reflections off from the bow and bow rails? etc... any other feedback would be great. thanks

put them on the pulpit or rails...... the roof sucks with all the glare coming from the rails and bow makes them useless if your using them while underway

Also, don't use them anywhere there are other boats around. Nothing worse heading out early in the morning than some jackass with a light bar ruining your night vision. Like driving down the highway with your high beams on.

If you go are going to mount one, do as @fishin solo says and keep in low and in front of anything that is going to shine glare back at you.

I hang a round profile light under the bow. With a custom visor made of hdpe over top to prevent any light reflecting back. Every boat is unique as to where and how its mounted for performance. I've done so many light installs on to tugs, seiners, commercial fish boats, work boats, water taxis, pleasure boats you name it. The light has to be dead in the water. Absolutley no light refractment onto the boat, or else its useless.

I hang a round profile light under the bow. With a custom visor made of hdpe over top to prevent any light reflecting back. Every boat is unique as to where and how its mounted for performance. I've done so many light installs on to tugs, seiners, commercial fish boats, work boats, water taxis, pleasure boats you name it. The light has to be dead in the water. Absolutley no light refractment onto the boat, or else its useless.
Can u lost a pic for reference please? I’m doing a light instal as well

Can u lost a pic for reference please? I’m doing a light instal as well

I have that same light setup on 3 of my boats. Not one picture lol. I would have to take one. Next time I'm around the marina I'll snap one of the coaster

The Collision Regulations are fairly clear on "extra lights" other than your running lights

The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character

As mentioned, a hardtop may not have enough height. You could use a post to gain height. I have a flybridge with an arch, so they are at lest 15 feet high.

All lights suited for this application will have a specific waterproofing rating see this:

It is possible that using a spotlight versus floodlight beam will cut-down/eliminate the problems fishing solo mentions, and that is most likely beam type you want for your application.

Back