Langford Lake monster

I think i had that sucker on once [:p] she took me for all the line i had, and ding, snapped me off :( Beauty fish, unbelievable. I have heard storys of a few even bigger then that. Apparently some of the kootney lake trout were stocked into this lake, and they can grow huge!

-Steve

biggest I've caught out of there was 3 1/2 pounds...couldn't even imagine trying to pull in an 8 on my rod with 2lb test leader..lol You'd pretty much have to let it have the run of the lake for 2 hours until it got bored!

I have seen large brood in several of the local lakes. Their existance is apparent when they migrate to the shores to both deposit and feed on eggs. Most local lakes generally cannot support the growth of a fish to that size due to the acidity of the water. Biologically speaking the nutrient levels are not hearty enough to sustain abundant hatches of aquatic invertebrates. Now I have seen a lake or two locally that could give challenge to this claim and support massive growth. Problem however is over harvesting and over stocking. This results in massive turn over rates that simply does not allow for grwoth. If left alone a couple select lakes could easily grow a 10 lb rainbow. Too bad that specimen was not released. I am a little suspect considering it was the first annual pub derby. Great presedent setting fish if it were the case. No?

None the less a great fish.

HL

That fish is not all that unusual for some of the more productive southern Vancouver island lakes. There are fish nearly that size caught every year in lakes like Langford, Prospect and Elk Lake. There would be many more produced, but as the previous poster pointed out, the stocked fish usually never make it past their first summer in the lake and the lakes are overstocked to compensate. It could also be that the fish was from broodstock released from the Duncan hatchery, (it would be easy to find out – just open up the fish, the presence of gonads would be a dead giveaway). I know that a large number of Tsitika steelhead brood left over from the ill-conceived “living gene bank” program were released in one of the island lakes last spring. That would make for a challenge on light tackle - especially if they had been in the lake long enough to get into better shape.

Poor fish! should have got a pic and release her. What a waste i herd it was just getting mounted. Would taste like muddy waters.:(

A couple of years ago I was at Langford and there were two young fellas about 12 or 13 in a little punt fishing the bottom with worms. They had 3 very large trout that I saw. One was weighed at the ramp and I heard it was 6 pounds which I believe, it was a decent sized trout. The other 2 they had weren't as big but certainly in the 4 pound range.

I caught one at Elk lake over 10 years ago that was just over 5 lbs with guts out but head on. That's my biggest on the local lakes.

That's a clean looking brood fish, most I've seen in the local lakes are butt ugly, thin and dark.

Hmmm! Once predator fish get over 2#-3# well before that size they look forward to stocking day. As do the bass.

If there were lakers in that lake, they'd need to stock it every couple weeks.

A C&R derby... A stuffed & wall-mounted fish winner. A C&R derby.. Hmm... Just curious.

Back