Kingfisher Discovery 2025 or Hewescraft Pro V 200

Looking at getting a new boat, some dealers push the Hewescraft others the Kingfisher even though they sell both. Fish mostly large inland lakes for walleye and some salmon fishing in the great lakes. The Kingfisher is rated for 225 hp and weighs 1650 lb, the hewescraft is rated for 200 and weighs 1975 lb.
Was leaning towards the Suzuki 225 or a yamaha 225 ( 200 hp for the Hewes) I need the speed for the walleye tournaments. Has anyone tried both? Which one would be the fastest, ride better and easier to control?
Both would have 20hp kickers, suzuki 20 hp is fuel injected
Which engine would be the most powerful, Yamaha is a 4.2 liter , suzuki a 3.6 liter also both have an inline four which is about 100 lb lighter than the V6`s
These are $70000 boats

thanks

Have you taken both of these boats out for a rip? I own an 18ft Hewes, and grew up fishing from a 17ft Harbercraft (kingfisher) both with Yamaha 90hps on them.The Harbercraft is faster by about 6 mph on the top end, and rides a little smoother due to the fact you're sitting closer to the stern of the boat. My Hewes however, is nicer to play fish from, because you have a much larger dance floor back there. These boats are smaller than what you're looking at, but I believe that the trend will hold ture up through the larger sizes of boats. The kingfisher will be faster, by a noticable margin, just look at your numbers, an extra 25 h.p and 300 lbs lighter. As far as controllability, both of these boats will work great for you, although I think the Kingfisher has the edge there too. I think if you're tournement fishing, and speed is an issue for you, get the Kingfisher, If you're looking for a tank, and to take more people out, get the Hewes. Hope this helps.

I have owned a hewes and I have fish out of a discovery before also. I would pic the hewes for a couple reasons

Less paint
Less stainless parts bolted to the hull which is a no no
Hewescraft customer service was great

The power you have choosen will be great you will have power to spare and suzuki are nice. There are many other boat that are similar to these models
Thunder jet
North west jet
Weld craft
Ducksworth

I run a 18 foot extended transom hardtop Hewescraft Searunner with a 150 Yamaha. On fresh water with a light load it will hit 45 mph wot. I would think a Pro V should be faster because it has a flatter bottom and is built a bit lighter. The Hewes well not the best welded boat on the market. Seems too give the most bang for the buck IMO.
d6325744df457c217ebfb9cf9edcfcd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was looking at a Kinfisher discovery 2025 extended transom with a 225 hp Suzuki and the transom was sitting under water with the bow up quite a bit, that is with an empty live well and not kicker yet, I don't think that is proper and would not make a good fishing boat, what do you think, how does the pro v sit with a v-6 and kicker?

IMO both of those models of boats are 150 hp boats. The reason the Kingfisher was stern heavy is because that motor is just plain to big for that boat. I think the heavier weight and the variable deadrise on the Hewes ProV will ride nicer when the lakes get nasty. I would look into the Pro V with that new light weight Susy 200 :). Like others have posted, Hewescraft offers the best bang for the buck. They are probably the oldest manufacturer of production welded aluminum boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because 20 hp is the same size and weight as the smaller ones, if you get stranded far enough the extra juice is nice to keep the boat straight in big waves, also the bigger alternator keeps the batteries charged when downrigging

It would be marginal on the speed between the 20 and 9.9hp. You can only do the hull speed of the boat unless you get on step. Most of us use a 9.9 and lots push bigger boats the a 20 foot metal boat. Never had a power problem keeping thing charges with my 8 or 9.9 HT kickers.

Brick, dealer will not even sell me the boat with a 225 which is what the boat is rated for, seems like they have many handling problems with the extra weight on the transom, and that is not even with a kicker, full live well etc, will take a serious look at Hewescraft SR210 or Pro V 200.

Back