Kicker?

Whaase

Hey, I have a 16' Sangster boat with a Evinrude 60 on it. Do I really need a kicker or will the 60 troll for me? Seems like a waste to have a second motor?

Thanks!

Its more of a safety thing; if your 60 will go trolling speeds then great use it; but i would never go off the west coast without 2 dependable motors.

I see your point :) I'll be staying on my lake. I have oars lol

I'll try it out and see. What is a "trolling" speed?

The problem with the old 3 cylinder -2 strokes is they don't like to idle down for extended periods of time.
spark plugs get fouled, fuel consumption is huge and they generally don't troll that well.
troll speed depends on which species you are chasing .
most salmon, trout anywhere from 1.5 - 3 knots

Excatly, I had a 16ft DE with the same motor... I picked up a 9.9evenrude 2-stroke and trolled all day on it... light weight, cheap to buy, cheap on fuel, and will last forever in fresh water... its the way to go...you should really grab a trolling motor

The problem with the old 3 cylinder -2 strokes is they don't like to idle down for extended periods of time.
spark plugs get fouled, fuel consumption is huge and they generally don't troll that well.
troll speed depends on which species you are chasing .
most salmon, trout anywhere from 1.5 - 3 knots

Its more of a safety thing; if your 60 will go trolling speeds then great use it; but i would never go off the west coast without 2 dependable motors.
2 motors off the westcoast is a good rule, but a kicker will do you little good trying to return to shore in the Pacific.

2 motors off the westcoast is a good rule, but a kicker will do you little good trying to return to shore in the Pacific.

You are right about the little good but still faster than oars out on the Pacific. You will get there eventually but not real fast lol.

I would look around for a 6 hp or 8 hp kicker for trolling. My buddy has a 15.5' K&C with a 60 main and a 4 hp kicker. That little kicker trolls pretty good but a 6 or an 8 would be better. I used to have a Cope welded aluminum (pretty light) with a 50 four stroke and and old beater 15 hp Johnson 2 stroke as a kicker. That little kicker worked great until it got stolen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I lost my Main engine on the way to Bamfield out of Port.We were halfway there when it happened.Asked the wife...want to turn back and give up our 4 day little holiday????She said no,the weather was nice that early august morning.Got our room at Bamfield and hooked a lot of fish just out of the harbour during our 4 day stay.I think it was 6 hours on the 9.9 merc to get back to Port Alberni boat launch....Flat calm and 1 or 2 many coolers! Saved a whole wack of fuel ........

As already mentioned,those old 3 cyl. 2strokes are not meant for trolling. They just foul up plugs,and go through
a crapload of gas. I recently bought an older 1990 Honda 8 hp for $400. I can troll all day long on about 1.5 gallons
With a full size main engine,it could go through 10 gallons.Not only that,the carbon buildup can get to the point of
sticking your piston rings,and BOOM,there goes your powerhead!!

Back