Kicker on a 16' aluminum boat?

N2013

I fish out of a 16' Crestliner Sportsman, thus only have 1 motor, a 30HP yammy. It's a max rated motor for the boat and the boat only has a 20"-ish freeboard at the stern so I don't want to add more weight on the stern. I wouldn't want to permanently mount a kicker there, but wouldn't mind having a spare kicker in the bow for a backup. Something small like a 4 or 6hp as we often make long runs in the boat to less than popular areas. It'd be strictly used as a backup. Anyone have any experience or advice on this? We currently store a beach anchor system up front to help add some weight to the bow so I'm not worried about the extra weight in the boat. More curious to know if I'd be looking for a 2 or 4 stroke as the motor might be under the forward bench seat and leg/prop up toward the bow. I'd also have to be secured and protected from the pounding as well. A new boat isn't in the cards yet so I'm trying to keep making this boat as safe and seaworthy as I can.

Put it on the back you will be fine, I only have 20" sides, freeboard is even less. I take it all the places I'm not suppose to go. Lol get a 6hp it should move your boat about 5mph.

I use a 2002 5hp Merc 2stroke on my 16.5 Crestliner, and it pushes it just fine in choppy weather. Pretty small and light.

She really shake, rattles and rolls though!

I have a 16 aluminum princecraft with a 25 2 stroke merc and I use a 4 nissan 4 stroke long shaft kicker mounted directly on the transom. Don't get a short shaft, you'll have to use a kicker bracket then.

If you plan to store the outboard up forward, keep in mind that 4 strokes can't be laid down in just any position due to the oil in the crankcase. Have you considered electric?

If you plan to store the outboard up forward, keep in mind that 4 strokes can't be laid down in just any position due to the oil in the crankcase. Have you considered electric?

I'm aware that I'd need a two stroke if I were to store it up front. Haven't considered electric, any recommendations? I only run 1 marine battery as well so I see some of them require multiple batteries. The only option I see is to get a bigger boat. Better get the divorce papers ready!

images.jpg Ted Williams makes a 2 stroke air cooled small outboard .Its light and wouldn't hurt the motor to use on a 20" transom .

I'm aware that I'd need a two stroke if I were to store it up front. Haven't considered electric, any recommendations? I only run 1 marine battery as well so I see some of them require multiple batteries. The only option I see is to get a bigger boat. Better get the divorce papers ready!

Sorry I don't know much about electric outboards except that the technology is rapidly changing. Have a look at torqeedo's web site.

Back