kicker motor quick connect

crazycanuck

Im looking for the company name of a stainless adjustable connector for my kicker to my main o/b. whats the cost and where to get one? Thanks in advance.

Its called an EZ Steer and you can get them just about any marine or boating store

Your probably better off to build your own then buy some chinese peice of junk and trying to make it work for you. The connectors on an EZ steer are ok but not the best and they often get you to install it on the back of your leg near the prop meaning you need to lean way the hell out and tilt up both motors to connect the two. That is not fun on a flat day let alone in rough water.

All you need are two stainless steel quick connects, a peice of threaded ready rod and some gas tubing to put over it. You will probably need to figure out a bracket for one or both of your motors too and you may need to bend the ready rod. If you can have them connect in the front or on the top of the engine cowl so you don't have to mess around with connecting your steering back near the prop like some EZ steer systems.

If you live in vic go down to tro tac if you don't find a quality marine store in your area (not west marine) and they should be able to help. If all they sell are the kits your in the wrong place. It cost me about $100.00 the good quick connects are about $30 each but well worth it.

Ez steer does work, but they are expensive, rigging your own as jockey said may be a good idea, but I would go with the panther electro steer for the same price as the ez steer. Panther is just as easy if not easier to install and way easy to operate.

Agree with you Jockey. I have the same system on my boat and it has worked flawlessly for years.

Wolf posted a picture of this system on this site a year or two back on a subject thread related to 2nd helm steering. Perhaps someone can dig it up and repost it.

What I like about it is the quality of the materials (all stainless and heavy duty) and problem free operation. Once you have put the connection rod in place and locked the ends; they cannot be knocked off or vibrate free. You do not have to touch it again. None of this removing it and putting it in place every time you want to use your kicker tied to your main motor (what a hassle); just leave it in place and your kicker can go up and down independent of the main motor and turn with the main motor. When you get to the fishing grounds just drop the kicker and you are fishing, no time wasting and messing around.

I have duel helm hydraulic steering with a small wheel on the transom so the full remote kicker is always tied to the main as I don’t steer from the kicker. But even if you have a kicker with tiller and want to steer with the tiller at times, this is still a great system because the bracket is on the front of the kicker and easy to access to remove/replace unlike those systems that use clamps wrapped around the kicker leg which also damage the paint and causes corrosion. My kicker is an earlier Yam 9.9HT; not sure if would be as easy to do with other kickers.

Very few things on boats can last for many years with problem free operation but this is one of them. You will have to do a little fabrication or have it done, but worth it. The boys at TroTac can give you advice and provide some parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of ezsteer, try the Stearns s.s. steering rod. Already has quick connects, and comes with all the necessary hardwarde to attach to both motors for cheap. I bought one at LFS in Bellingahm for $45.00. The only complaint is that the snaprings are very poor quality stainless. I replaced them for about $5.00 with some quality stainless from Profasteners. Not only that, they attach to the front of both motors, not the back so no dangerous leaning over the side of the motors to attach. :cool:

Here are a few pics of the same tie-bar that rockfish is referring to.(sorry about the small pics, that's the only way I can add attachments).

3rd pic is the nob that is attached to the main motor that the spring loaded quick disconnect on the tie bar attaches to and 1st pic is the kicker attachment with tie bar attached. 2nd pic is complete tie-bar setup

I've used the EZ-steer on a previous boat and had nothing but problems. This system pictured has over 10,000 hours of trouble free use and still works like new.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 749
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 919
Last edited by a moderator:
Back