kicker hp for 21' wellcraft?

I can get a new tohatsu for 2800 with electric start and power tilt,2300 without power tilt ,he said they will also put 4 blade large prop on it.I think i'll go with it unless i find a good deal on a yammi.

Sounds like a good deal for a new kicker. I Paid 2300 for a one year old Merc pro kicker + controls. I like having power tilt. I don`t have to reach over the back of the boat in rough weather. Just my 2 cents! My way of thinking is since you have spent so much money already, you might as well get a good backup engine to go with it.

If you find a good kicker without power lift you can buy an electric hydraulic power lift mounting system that your kicker mounts to. As I recall they are about $600.00 and are cheaper and easier to repair or replace than most power lifts built into the kickers and you can keep it for your next kicker if you ever need to replace it. The one I have works great with a Yam 9.9 HT Remote which is way out back on a pod but they should work with any kicker.

PS -- There is more to a high thrust kicker than just a large blade prop. As I understand it they have a gear ratio that is designed to provide a lot of torque (pusing power at lower speed on a large heavy boat) as opposed to high end speed on a small light boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the gear ratio is different,but wouldn't the tohatsu do the job.

On your boat I would think it should, it is not overly heavy for its size. My boat is a lot heavier than yours. I can tell you that there are times when fighting the fast Sooke current that I wish Yamaha made a 15 hp high thrust so it did not have to work so hard. If you are not going to be fishing in a lot of current it is less of an issue. One of my fishing buddies has a 17 footer with a 15 hp 2 stroke Merc kicker and there were times when he had it cranked up pretty high against the Sooke current. I guess the question is do you want the best option even if it costs more.

Thanks for the help,lots to ponder.Rockfish what brand was the kicker bracket?Was it panther marine?And where did you get it?

Thanks for the help,lots to ponder.Rockfish what brand was the kicker bracket?Was it panther marine?And where did you get it?

The boat is in storage rather than the driveway so I can’t go look at the manufactures name and I have forgotten it. I got it from Trotac Marine in Victoria. Give Paul there a call at 250-386-2341 and I am sure he can fill you in on the lift unit and the current price.

Back