Kicker Fuel consumption question

N2013

Without getting too deep into the weeds, Guys who are running 8HP kickers, what is your fuel consumption rate while trolling ? Hell even 9.9’s, just as long as the boat sizes are close enough.

-8HP 4 stroke kicker, 18.5’ boat. No idea what my nissan consumes per hour/trolling.

Without getting too deep into the weeds, Guys who are running 8HP kickers, what is your fuel consumption rate while trolling ? Hell even 9.9’s, just as long as the boat sizes are close enough.

-8HP 4 stroke kicker, 18.5’ boat. No idea what my nissan consumes per hour/trolling.

Nissan 8HP 0.85 GPH at 5500rpm.

Adjust for your actual RPM usage... my guess on a small light boat you're only using 20-25% of the power so I would guess 0.25 GPH +/-

You could also look up the list at the 2HP / 4 HP motors to get an idea what kind of fuel burn they use at 5500rpm to make their rated power... if you're using 50% of your 8HP power you'll be close to the 4HP 5500rpm usage. If you're using 25% of your 8HP's power you'll be close to the 2.5HP rating at 5500rpm

curious what your thought process was for buying a 8HP kicker ? It weighs the same as a 9.9HP so why not buy the 9.9HP ?
my 6HP tohatsu sailpro burns 0.5 GPH at 5500rpm.

Last edited:
1970's vintage 18' 6" Double Eagle. 9.9 HT Yamaha kicker. I guesstimate about 1 liter per hour while trolling.

curious what your thought process was for buying a 8HP kicker ? It weighs the same as a 9.9HP so why not buy the 9.9HP ?
my 6HP tohatsu sailpro burns 0.5 GPH at 5500rpm.
Not sure where you get that from……8 is much lighter than a 9.9, in mercs anyway

According to the specs on the Yamaha website, the F8 and F9.9 are both 87 lbs. so I would ask the same question as zurk. The reason I went with the F6 for my tender is that it weighs the same as the F4

huh ?
84lbs for both 8 and 9.9hp mercs.

the 8 always use the same everything other than engine tune and some other parts for more fuel flow than the 9.9hp.
same as the 4/6hp engines and some others (40/60hp etc etc)
interesting. 9.9 used to be a detuned 15 and the 8hp was 20 lbs lighter than a 9.9. lots of threads on this forum about it over the years ( and info from the web if I cared enough to look, which I don't) and one of my fishing partners specifically bought the 8 because of ease to remove from his boat 3 years ago ish.

interesting. 9.9 used to be a detuned 15 and the 8hp was 20 lbs lighter than a 9.9. lots of threads on this forum about it over the years ( and info from the web if I cared enough to look, which I don't) and one of my fishing partners specifically bought the 8 because of ease to remove from his boat 3 years ago ish.
Back in the early eighties several people I knew with the 9.9 Honda also bought the ‘carb kit’ that made it a 15 hp
Now it seems the power head and leg are the same for 2-3 different hp models then they change again. That’s why it doesn’t make much sense to under power a boat with the same model engine in every aspect other than hp (F250 vs F300 for example)

As a general rule for every 10hp=1gph at full power. This holds true to almost any modern 4 stroke engine to within 10% or so.

9.9 Merc 4 stroke on 19 ft glass hull. Fuel use so low I can barely find room to shoehorn more gas in there when I fill main tank. Less than a litre per hour for sure.

In carburetted Mercs, the 9.9 and 15 hp have same block and lower unit.

Back