Kicker Cooling

chris73

What is the normal temperature of the cooling water discharge from the pee hole after the motor is warm? Hand warm? I noticed today that my main engine discharges way cooler water than my kicker. Is that normal?

Don't like the new yami 9.9's for that reason, plus they tend to run harder to produce less push than the older style. Looks like the 8 hp power head isn't working out too well for Yami...I just got mine and I absolutely hate it...pile of junk compared to the older style.

Searun

th_067.jpg

If Yamaha had researched the local market they would have put the high thrust leg on the 15 (left it as a 15) for 24 to 30 foot boats, developed a power tilt for the original 9.9 (their best kicker) for 20 to 24 foot boats and used the 8 for 15 to 20 footers. They would have had the market sewn up.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

If Yamaha had researched the local market they would have put the high thrust leg on the 15 (left it as a 15) for 24 to 30 foot boats, developed a power tilt for the original 9.9 (their best kicker) for 20 to 24 foot boats and used the 8 for 15 to 20 footers. They would have had the market sewn up.

Totally agree...they blew it on this one...anyone need a nearly new 9.9 yami big pile of junk kicker?

Searun

th_067.jpg

I think it depends on the engine as well, some engines just shoot a sample out of the hole showing pressure and flow through the head and the water isn't actually used for cooling, some engines use the hole as a direct discharge from the head and it will be warm to the touch but should never be steaming. I had an early 90s mariner 20hp and the discharge came right out of the thermostat so there would be a tiny bit of flow coming out of the hole sometimes and then when the engine got warm enough to open the thermostat the water would be FLOWING out and it would be warm to the touch, its a good way to tell if your thermostat is working as well but I assume this design doesn't work on all engines.

Back