Keeping Chinook Fishing Open from Sidney to Sooke

quote:Cooperation is our only option!

A tough pill to swallow after over 28 years of Cooperating and Volunteering at hatcheries, stream rehab etc, etc. Where has that got me now other than restricted access to the resource? A pretty thin line between cooperating and leaning over for another spanish inquisition!

I find it hard to believe the few Fraser bound chinook that may be intervened by rec fisherman on there journey to the gravel mined, silt infested reds of the Fraser, is just cause to suggest a complete closure until June. Habitiat destruction might be a safer bet to concern DFO's powers with rather than a hand full of potential interceptions on the South Island?

www.tailspincharters.com

I totall realize it mason trust me, dont worry about that I have seen too many years of totall mismanagement by these clowns in what they do.
Its damn hard to trust the gov. when all you get from them is lies and then more lies I have worked directly doing a creel survey for the lodge I worked in the upper knight inlet area at we all went to all the trouble of scale.gill plate ,recording for 3 months, it was very time consuming and boring but we did it after you have guided all morning your tired but we figured it was going to "help" DFO !!!!! BUT it was all for nothing as after it was all said and done they said thanks and basically threw the data we collected away as they "Didnt need it"

And you tell me to get on board and help out give me break I have done my part only to be shat on!!!!!

You say sockeye isnt a sport fish well tell my uncle that (RIP) over 40 years ago when a bunch of them used to go to the alberni inlet for the first or second week in june along with probably a few thousand other guys just to target sockeye and NOT springs.

I think you have to "come and realize" this!!!!!!!!

Wolf

quote:people from all over went there hundreds of sportfisherman went there

And you wonder why theres no more fish, gosh you guys still don't friggin get it do you? This is not an limitless resource. I would have to say that in its hayday there where thousands of sport fishermen bonking those alberni socks. Every year the runs would be smaller and smaller. Then big surprize, there isn't many fish anymore. Man you sure don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out. It happens over and over again on the coast. The fish have a really hard time making a comeback becuase as soon as someone figures out that "fishing is good" the whole sports fleet goes there. Followed by commercials. Then people stand around in 4 years going, hey I think those F/N's from that area caught all the fish! Nobody ever sees themselves as part of the problem, and that IS the problem!

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

You say sockeye isnt a sport fish well tell my uncle that (RIP) over 40 years ago when a bunch of them used to go to the alberni inlet for the first or second week in june along with probably a few thousand other guys just to target sockeye and NOT springs.

I think you have to "come and realize" this!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Wolf, now I know 100% that you are a fisherman for sure! Please tell me more about this, you have me on the edge of my seat. Make sure you have this story correct before you embellish it any further.

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

shouldnt the government be more concerned with the bycatch's by trawlers ...they are allowing 48000 to 68000 in the pollock industry a year....isnt that a major amout of chinook salmon...confused young angler...mason or wolf any comments on why we shouldnt be in rage over those type of numbers....?

LOL ok but maybe it wasnt 1000's of guys but they used to head up there just for sockeye along with many many other fisherman that was the point I was trying to make and then they had there supply for canning it really wasnt that long ago too now that fishery unfortunattly is in trouble as well.

PS yes im a true fisherman thanks for pointing that out:D:D

To put this back on track im very frustrated with the whole thing DFO is doing and yet (dont take it the wrong way) you want me and many of us to help them when they have screwed me personally and many sportfisherman and FN like I said in an earlier post We gave them tons of data and who know where it went you can only do so much.
Its bleeding badly and slowly soon it will be dead.

Thanks you do make me laugh

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

quote:people from all over went there hundreds of sportfisherman went there

And you wonder why theres no more fish, gosh you guys still don't friggin get it do you? This is not an limitless resource. I would have to say that in its hayday there where thousands of sport fishermen bonking those alberni socks. Every year the runs would be smaller and smaller. Then big surprize, there isn't many fish anymore. Man you sure don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out. It happens over and over again on the coast. The fish have a really hard time making a comeback becuase as soon as someone figures out that "fishing is good" the whole sports fleet goes there. Followed by commercials. Then people stand around in 4 years going, hey I think those F/N's from that area caught all the fish! Nobody ever sees themselves as part of the problem, and that IS the problem!

Take only what you need.
WOW...someone does get it. Look at the species that are in trouble springs,coho...soon to be halibut and and inshore rockfish. When will this group ever admit to the impact they have on stocks. Pretty sad when one type of fish are all but gone and you move onto something else to decimate.
Realistic bag limits and yearly limits are a must if we want a fishery in the future.

quote:Originally posted by holmes

so no one wants to even acknowledge my idea?

Holmes, the process that has been working in the right direction for some time now is SFAB and SFAC with huge kudos to groups like SFI, and BCWF and other groups working on "our"[sporty's] behalf. "We" as individual anglers have the opportunity to participate in person on the SFAC level. The last thing that "we" as sport anglers should ever want to do is deflect our focus from the end result goals of our accumulative efforts. "We" all need to work with what has been deemed successful in developing long term working relationships between industry professionals, volunteers and DFO managers. SFAB and SFAC process is not an instant gratification or short term fix to any fishery issues in decision making. The process is structured to help build long term working solutions that include all stakeholders in the balance. I would rather see DFO spend money working within the confines of focused tangible solutions from what has already been deeded to be a successful process, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel and waste all kinds of money that their budget cannot afford trying to manage and sift through thousands of queries posted on an already balloted hard to manage website. Honestly, "we" already have a tough time finding in season and post season data, imagine how slow it will be on their side to react to information overload. Keep focused, stay informed, offer solutions, simply put, join SFAC group in your region. Like a dog, barking means absolutely nothing without the action behind it! Letters don't do a lot either, I am serious when I say join the process, it does matter. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

quote:Originally posted by BlackPearl

shouldnt the government be more concerned with the bycatch's by trawlers ...they are allowing 48000 to 68000 in the pollock industry a year....isnt that a major amout of chinook salmon...confused young angler...mason or wolf any comments on why we shouldnt be in rage over those type of numbers....?

The Alaskan pollock fishery was shut down recently for exceeding Chinook bi catch this year. PSC is recognizing issues with mixed stock and over fishing in both Canada and the USA. Each country has it's guidelines and Acts to follow and they are serious about ensuring sustainable fisheries in all of the Pacific regions. There have been lots of management mistakes in the past, however DFO is not totally responsible for the state of British Columbia's fisheries. For certain DFO and every stakeholder has had a hand at diminishing a percentage of the resource. Please remember when you are directing your anguish that there are uncontrollable variables like global climate change to name a major one. DFO is not at all 100% to blame, nor is any single stakeholder, it comes down to everything working in accumulation against the life of all fish from the day they are hatched. Long and the short, DFO is actively monitoring bi catch and has long recognized this issue as a grave concern. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Time to stack those salmon licences on those pollock fishermen? They take the salmon anyways why not use up the salmon quota on them and forgo the troll fishery?

Take only what you need.

Back