Keel Guards and anchor buddies?

Rust

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations and or first hand experience with keel guards on fibreglass boats? Do's or Don't as well as legth/width? Some are saying 6' feet for a 17' boat others are saying 7'. Could i even go 8' or am I just wasting money by going longer? It looks like there are a few options from 3m, gator gaurd or kimpex etc. I've also read/heard of guys using a piece of carpet or pipeline rock gaurd.

Also what about anchor buddies? Anyone use those and trust it over night while camping on a beach somewhere?

Looking for any advice and info on this as well as we are wanting to do some camping off our boat this summer around the okanagan/shuswap and surrounding areas, but very new to the whole boating thing.

Just thought I would mention I had a problem with delamination on mine.
I emailed Megaware , they asked a few questions and requested pictures.
After a quick review they sent me a new one no charge prepaid.

The Keelguard was over 10 years old and I didn't have original invoice.

Ranks them up there with Scotty in my books !:)

Attachments

• 432610.jpg
    432610.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
I put a 6’ Keelguard on my 17’ Double Eagle about 8 years ago. It works great. I followed the directions exactly and it has not delaminated so far. I did install it slightly lower down the bow than they recommend, just below the water line which allowed it to extend far enough under the keel to cover the existing scrapes from beach landing. I highly recommend it.

As for anchor buddy, there’s been a few previous discussions on those. If you are looking for something to keep your boat off the beach for a couple of hours, that may be the simplest solution. People seem to like them for that purpose, and for lake use, maybe that’s all you need. If you are looking for something to work for longer periods, to work over a full tidal cycle, I suggest considering a clothesline anchor system. I use this when boat camping on the beach and has worked great. It’s a “set and forget” solution, vs the anchor buddy which needs adjustments in full tidal swings.

I put a 6’ Keelguard on my 17’ Double Eagle about 8 years ago. It works great. I followed the directions exactly and it has not delaminated so far. I did install it slightly lower down the bow than they recommend, just below the water line which allowed it to extend far enough under the keel to cover the existing scrapes from beach landing. I highly recommend it.

As for anchor buddy, there’s been a few previous discussions on those. If you are looking for something to keep your boat off the beach for a couple of hours, that may be the simplest solution. People seem to like them for that purpose, and for lake use, maybe that’s all you need. If you are looking for something to work for longer periods, to work over a full tidal cycle, I suggest considering a clothesline anchor system. I use this when boat camping on the beach and has worked great. It’s a “set and forget” solution, vs the anchor buddy which needs adjustments in full tidal swings.
Hey Fisherman Rob, At this point I don't have any intention of being out on tide waters, its just for lakes in the interior. But I'd still be interested in hearing a bit more about your clothesline method.

Hey Fisherman Rob, At this point I don't have any intention of being out on tide waters, its just for lakes in the interior. But I'd still be interested in hearing a bit more about your clothesline method.
Post in thread 'Anchoring setup - lets hear what you have?'
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...tup-lets-hear-what-you-have.75477/post-935000

I based my setup on this guys blog post:

Back