Kamloops Lake chinooks

sly_karma

Crew Member
Tried for springs in Kamloops Lake at Savona over the long weekend. Had the enormous benefit of a friend who lives there and has fished this run for years. Interesting setup, you anchor in the very end of the Lake but lines and lures are run down into the river.

Frequent small runs of fish come through each day, with quiet periods between. Saw a decent range of fish caught, from jacks up to 30 lb. A lot of them escape by staying on bottom where lures can be popped off by leverage on the boulders there.

The locals anchor and fish the lake exit, while others troll. A river anchor setup is needed for the former as current is significant. Boats on the hook are quite close together yet it is a relaxed fun atmosphere, with BBQs going and lots of banter. I hand held my rod most of the time because the strikes are so fast.

Would I drive 3 hours again this weekend for the one fish limit? Probably not, but sure was nice to spend a day with a buddy I haven't seen in two years (pictured below) and learn about a new way to fish.

Resized_20210901_193529.jpg

Tried for springs in Kamloops Lake at Savona over the long weekend. Had the enormous benefit of a friend who lives there and has fished this run for years. Interesting setup, you anchor in the very end of the Lake but lines and lures are run down into the river.

Frequent small runs of fish come through each day, with quiet periods between. Saw a decent range of fish caught, from jacks up to 30 lb. A lot of them escape by staying on bottom where lures can be popped off by leverage on the boulders there.

The locals anchor and fish the lake exit, while others troll. A river anchor setup is needed for the former as current is significant. Boats on the hook are quite close together yet it is a relaxed fun atmosphere, with BBQs going and lots of banter. I hand held my rod most of the time because the strikes are so fast.

Would I drive 3 hours again this weekend for the one fish limit? Probably not, but sure was nice to spend a day with a buddy I haven't seen in two years (pictured below) and learn about a new way to fish.

View attachment 70166
Looks like a great time.
I live in Kamloops and have never fished springs here.
I see a lot of boats on the Little Shuswap lake trolling and in the south Thompson river as well.
I will have to try it one day.

Looks like a great time.
I live in Kamloops and have never fished springs here.
I see a lot of boats on the Little Shuswap lake trolling and in the south Thompson river as well.
I will have to try it one day.
nice fish @sly_karma little shu is almost finished but im down with a cold right now so cant head out you should hit it up!

Curious about their habitat and biology....sounds similar to sockeye, maybe....they come up the Fraser/THompson, then into Kamloops Lake and maybe South THompson/ Shuswap then end up spawning in small tributaries to that whole lake complex? Thanks for clarifying

Curious about their habitat and biology....sounds similar to sockeye, maybe....they come up the Fraser/THompson, then into Kamloops Lake and maybe South THompson/ Shuswap then end up spawning in small tributaries to that whole lake complex? Thanks for clarifying
There's a well known run that follows the route you mention to Shuswap Lk and then up the Salmon River through Enderby and into Mabel Lake. Goes earlier than August though. Couldn't tell you which of the various Shuswap or Thompson tribs is the destination for the fish we were seeing though.

nice fish @sly_karma little shu is almost finished but im down with a cold right now so cant head out you should hit it up!
Yeah I could give it a look this weekend, feeling like I'm still not quite done with salmon for the year. Thinking river tactics rather than lake, they sure can spread out in a lake, in all three dimensions.

Back