"k" numbers

quote:Originally posted by lenardobc

just got my bc number last week , bought the boat and it had no numbers on it, downloaded the application from sevice canada online, filled it out, went in and within 40 minutes, had my numbers free of charge.. . thought it might be a good idea, the fine sure would cut into fuel and beer costs..:D:D

if you declared a price on the document, you can expect a bill from the gov't for the sales tax. could take 4-6 weeks, kinda like a tax return[xx(]

When buying a used boat privately is there a boat transfer form to be filled out, like a vehicle transfer? And if so, where are these forms located?

I have registered my last 2 boats and had to declare a value. (I subtracted the value of the motor and the trailer incase I was charged tax.)
Never seen a bill.

Tips

When I bought my boat and went to transfer the trailer, and insure it, I had to pay the sales tax on the complete boat and trailer pkg.Don`t see how you can be a legal owner of a boat and trailer without tranferring and paying taxes. I can see where you might buy a moored boat and not bother ,figuring a bill of sale is good enough to prove ownership but they call that tax evasion,LOL !!

Just a couple points that were not covered by others:

The new BC numbers (which replaced the old K numbers) are not proof of ownership.
The authorities do not ask you , when you are stopped by them, for proof of ownership or insurance (unlike your car or truck).

When licencing a boat (either new or used) you still need proof of ownership via a bill of sale or a declaration that has been notorized.
The old numbers still need to be tranfered to the new owners, in the case of a used boat.

Back