JUGHEAD Results from Rivers Inlet trip

Hey Everyone,

I started this new thread about the Jughead's after getting a selection of them from A.J. and then taking them up to Rivers Inlet for 5 days this past week to see how they performed. This is just a summary of how well they did, how we rigged them, and the comments from the guides that also tried them at the Good Hope Cannery.

On day one we started with a trip across to Calvert Island's East side to troll for Coho. One thing about going to a fully guided lodge is that the guides have their own ways of catching fish for their clients, and a new client that comes up there and wants to try their own stuff, lures, or methods is nothing new. Usually the guide will humour the clients at first until they fail to catch fish and then step in with their tried and true methods and catch the fish that the client came for.

This was no different for me and my friend Stu when I asked Joe(our guide) if we could try a new lure a friend had designed. Joe graciously agreed to give the Jughead a try on one side of the boat while he used his methods on the other(a flasher and spoon).

It was about 1 in the afternoon when I put the Green Spatter Back Hoochie on a Green Jughead down 6 feet behind the flasher. It took about 30 seconds to get our first hit, a 10lb Coho was hooked and subsequently netted.....a good start. So back down went the Jughead for another try........this time it took a little longer to get our second hit......about 1 minute, give or take a few seconds. So that's Jughead 2, Lure 0.

So for about the next 30 minutes the Jughead drastically out fished the spoon and we caught 9 Coho in the following 30 minutes. With Joe convinced of the performance we decided to put down another Jughead on the starboard side, this time A white Hoochie on a white Jughead, but both without the flasher this time.

For the next 30 minutes we fished like this, and once again the Coho slammed the Jugheads, but now the White on White was kicking the Green on Green's butt by a large margin.....about 4-1. Needless to say we pulled the Green on Green up and put another white on white down. To make a long story short, for the next 3 hours, on our first afternoon of being at Rivers Inlet, we caught and released 24 coho and kept 3 each....Oh yeah...they weighed between 10-14lbs. All and all a great first afternoon.

Each day, in the Mornings, we headed up to the Head of the Inlet to fish for the big Whonnock River Springs that run up to and over 80lbs. These fish are extremely hard to catch and are always mooched for using cut plug herring, so se didn't use the Jughead while we fish the head of the inlet and I managed to catch a 25lb Spring that morning.

Each afternoon after lunch, we headed back over to Calvert Island to fish for Coho. Day number two I fished solo with my guide Joe as they had an extra guide that wanted to fish, so they split Stu and I up and gave us our own boat and guide for the day.

We had the lines wet for Coho at Calvert Island around 2:30 pm after successfully jigging and catching our Halibut further up the island. We continued with the White on White on both sides without flashers for the rest of the afternoon. Now seeing it was just Joe and I, we both took turns fishing, and just like the day before the action was spectacular....and had an Epic afternoon. To summarize our day 2 afternoon results, in 2 hours and 20 minutes, we caught and released 30 Coho(between 9-14lbs), had 7 double headers, 3 back to back to back double headers, and kept 3 14lb Coho's.

So I guess everyone is seeing the trend by now so I'll just summarize the week overall. All in all we(Stu and I) managed to catch 3 nice Red springs 23, 25 and 26 lbs, a hundred and five Coho's from 8-15 lbs in 3 afternoons and one 2 hour period this morning, as well as getting both our halibut the first afternoon we were there.

The guides that tried the Jugheads had the same results, and even they changed over to the Jugheads from how they had been fishing with their methods.

So there you have it, the Jughead's performance was spectacular, and YES these numbers are 100% accurate as we did keep track of all fish caught.

I have some pictures we took on the trip but I just got home at 12:30 and wanted to get this write up of our results for AJ written up before I go have a nap....LOL.

One last note......Up until this point in my life I have never asked my guide to stop for a few minutes so I could take a break from catching fish because my arm need a break.....But, as bad as that sounds, I actually did once on this trip.

AJ....I'm happy to say that the Jughead out performed everything else when it came to catching Coho at Rivers Inlet, As far as the Whonnock Springs are concerned we didn't get the opportunity to try them as we used cut plugs all week.

Cheers Everyone(I'll upload some pic's later)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap...

I've been there...done that (without jugheads) and can only imagine the fun you had.

I was there last year and while we were searching for the big king, the most fun and memorable experience was the coho triple-header we had. We went out self-guided, just me and my Dad. Running around and over each other chasing fish. The best was when one of the guides watching commented on our fight over the radio...I felt like a celebrity. Coincidentally I had just read an article about how to win this fight...let one fish run on slightly loose drag and fight the other two. The first to be netted has to be flat on it's side so it's a quick scoop job. Go too early and while standing there waiting the fish you were fighting will get away. Sadly, we forgot that part and we went 2 for 3.

Those coho are crazy fun up there. I had read they installed downriggers for that outer fishery, but there's nothing like hooking those coho in 10' of water without the flasher. Glad the jugheads work without one.

Rivers Inlet...top 5 on the bucket list (even as a repeat visit)...those folks at Good Hope Cannery do an amazing job. Wish I was Canadian...I'd go work there.

I haven't used the smaller Juggies with hootchies yet but i did catch two springs on the Juggie/chovy combo.. so they definitely work for springs as well.

Hey Everyone,

I started this new thread about the Jughead's after getting a selection of them from A.J. and then taking them up to Rivers Inlet for 5 days this past week to see how they performed. This is just a summary of how well they did, how we rigged them, and the comments from the guides that also tried them at the Good Hope Cannery.

...Wow. That's awesome Feelin Nauti. What a great trip. I'm so glad you took Jugheads up there with you. Thank you. And for that report ...wow what can I say... jeez. Feel almost like I was a part of it. I guess there's a little piece of AJ in every Jughead, lol. And you towed Jughead without a flasher and knocked the ***** out of 'em too. Well Done! That is amazing fun. I could just picture you guys...
You're right Andrew P., it did bring a tear to my eye, not only because of the fantastic report but, I haven't been to Rivers in about 12 Freakin Years! LMAO!
All b.s. aside, Fantastic trip! 105 frickin coho? What?? LMAO! I truly am laughing my butt off... wow. How's them old shoulders doin'? You'll get no sympathy from the wife I bet...
Thank you very much Feelin Nauti for that awesome report. Not only because Jughead was in it but, also because it was a pretty damn good report and entertaining ...for me anyway :)

...I gotta put that on the main thread, lol

Better start manufacturing more of them jugheads! I think everyone is going to be ordering some now

Better start manufacturing more of them jugheads! I think everyone is going to be ordering some now

Lol, ya ...that "Rivers Results" kinda lit the wires up a bit :)

Ya know, I could go on and on about days like that with Jughead, well maybe not that epic but, days where I'd be swearing like crazy because I just couldn't keep Jughead in the water more than a minute without a coho on. Couldn't get down to the springs. Had to throw spoons or big tubbies on. That's as far as I'll go with it because it'll seem like I'm selling it.
The thing is, it's difficult to get someone to give Jughead an honest rub. A fella gets out there, pressure's on, gotta catch a fish. This thing's not working ...next lure... and so on. I applaud the people that stuck it out because when fishin' is slow, my first instinct is to check the gear and maybe change it while it's up. So thank you to those who waited out the fish and gave Jughead a good honest rub.
And let's cut the b.s. too, there will be stories where bait or something else out-fished Jughead but, Jughead will always be in the top dreawer of my tackle box. I know what Jughead can do...
Be faithful to Juggie, he'll be faithful to you

A little follow up on the rigging of the Juggies for everyone that I didn't mention in the first post but meant too.

I did do some experimenting with the Juggies during our 5 days in Rivers Inlet and found that adding a white/glow mylar twinkle skirt to the White Hoochie did increase the fish on ratio by about 30% than a Hoochie alone, especially when we went down to 70-120 feet. I principally used the Green and White Glow heads, Small and Medium sizes, with white and green spackle back hoochies. I also give A.J.s Green Haze a go and it worked just as good with a white hoochie.

I rigged all my Juggies with One(1) 5/0 Gamagatzu Octopus hook, 5 small clear beads above the hook, then the hoochie with the mylar skirt and finally one more bead in front of the hoochie then the Juggie head. Two(2) hooks just caused more problems than you'll need, the Coho hit the lure so hard that we didn't lose one fish to spitting out the hook, but did lose a few do to angler stupidity....or maybe fatigue from reeling in so many fish so quickly...LOL.

For the majority of the trip we didn't use a flasher, trolling speeds varied with wind and current, but fish hit it at all speeds it seemed, but 2-2.5 MPH seemed the sweet spot. I found that having the Juggie about 10 feet from the rigger line worked best and imparted fantastic action on the lure. The Juggie does work well on the flasher at about 6 feet behind the flasher but fighting the fish isn't as enjoyable as without the flasher.

I know that a great deal of fishermen don't like to share what's working for them when they are catching the fish.....not to say everyone is like that, and the members on here are great for supporting each other, that's why I enjoy this forum so much. Everything we experienced using the Juggie's up in Rivers Inlet and how we used them I am happy to share with everyone.

Cheers Everyone

Feeling Nauti (Keith)

A little follow up on the rigging of the Juggies for everyone that I didn't mention in the first post but meant too.

I did do some experimenting with the Juggies during our 5 days in Rivers Inlet and found that adding a white/glow mylar twinkle skirt to the White Hoochie did increase the fish on ratio by about 30% than a Hoochie alone, especially when we went down to 70-120 feet. I principally used the Green and White Glow heads, Small and Medium sizes, with white and green spackle back hoochies. I also give A.J.s Green Haze a go and it worked just as good with a white hoochie.

I rigged all my Juggies with One(1) 5/0 Gamagatzu Octopus hook, 5 small clear beads above the hook, then the hoochie with the mylar skirt and finally one more bead in front of the hoochie then the Juggie head. Two(2) hooks just caused more problems than you'll need, the Coho hit the lure so hard that we didn't lose one fish to spitting out the hook, but did lose a few do to angler stupidity....or maybe fatigue from reeling in so many fish so quickly...LOL.

For the majority of the trip we didn't use a flasher, trolling speeds varied with wind and current, but fish hit it at all speeds it seemed, but 2-2.5 MPH seemed the sweet spot. I found that having the Juggie about 10 feet from the rigger line worked best and imparted fantastic action on the lure. The Juggie does work well on the flasher at about 6 feet behind the flasher but fighting the fish isn't as enjoyable as without the flasher.

I know that a great deal of fishermen don't like to share what's working for them when they are catching the fish.....not to say everyone is like that, and the members on here are great for supporting each other, that's why I enjoy this forum so much. Everything we experienced using the Juggie's up in Rivers Inlet and how we used them I am happy to share with everyone.

Cheers Everyone

Feeling Nauti (Keith)

Thanks for that Nauti. I'm glad you mentioned the issue with the tandem hook thing. I hate tandem hooks. Single Siwash or Octo Hook. Easy release, less trauma to the fish and, they don't work with Jughead. Waay too much movement.
There's something to be said about fighting a fish without a flasher. We've become so accustomed to using flashers all the time that that's all we know and are all quite used to. It's a whole different ball game without that flasher. Love it!
Thanks again for sharing thatFeelin Nauti.

Which brings me to a question one fella asked, How well do I know Keith (Feelin Nauti)?
Well, I don't know Keith. Never met the fellow. He bought some Jugheads thru here. Actually, he bought a lot of Jugheads thru here, lol. He ordered twice!
Oops, let me correct that, he just ordered again... What are you doin Keith? Eating them yourself?? lmao!
I imagine he didn't leave the lodge with very many left in his tackle box...

AJ and I have never met, we have talked on the phone but that's it. Also to clarify, AJ never asked me to do a review on the Juggies nor write up my results from our Rivers Inlet trip, and he didn't send me any for free to do the review I wrote.

It's very rare that you find something that works as advertised (like I saw in the Videos AJ has posted) or in my opinion even better than advertised. If my experience using the Juggies helps AJ to sell more of them, then that's fantastic.

I took up a bunch of Juggies to Rivers Inlet and gave them to the guides to try while I was there and then gave away all most all the ones I had left(except for a couple to use at home until I get more) before I boarded the plane home, I didn't have enough for everyone unfortunately. The guides that did use them had the same experience as I did catching fish, so hopefully that brings in more Biz to AJ.

A.J. I'm not eating them myself, I'll leave that to the fish, too hard on the teeth I think!!

Finally, I recommend that all you gents using the Juggies use them without a flasher, and if you have to have something down there flashing use an inline dummy flasher off the Cannonball. If your planning on stacking them the same rules applies as Flasher fishing, the short release on the bottom and the long release on the top. I also recommend that you leave at least 20-25 feet between each Juggie.

Cheers All, FN

That is an epic report, thanks very much for posting. Fun trips like that are seeded into the memory forever. Congrats.

BTW, if you go up there again next year you realize those guides are gonna meet you right as you get off the plane and are gonna want to see what great lures you brought them this time. Ha ha ha

Back