Inherited the family bucktail kit - what's your favorite??

great start on the pilchard. that blue polar bear is exactly the right color. get those doll eyes glued on. a drop of 'Zap' gel will hold them until you can epoxy the heads. i'll be interested in your experimenting with stinger hooks or not. the only time i now use them are on really long, 12" streakers, that i troll for dorado. but most of my saltwater flies are less that 6" so only one hook but 5-6mm doll eyes. i do believe attacking fish key on those eyes as the target. so far i have not experienced the short strike problem so long as i have incorporated eyes of some sort.

I don't know much about bucktails as you know AP, but I would save those hooks only for the front hook. It seems to me that those are some good hooks and it looks like they have a long shank, which makes them ideal for tying. I'd just run a smaller octopus stinger as a trailer. Those big trailers will surely affect action. 40lb leader will help with the whip action behind a flasher. Just my thoughts.

Are those glows strips robbed from some hootchies?

glo materials are available in shops carrying fly tying stuff. i have moved away from 3x long hook shanks as they give the fish too much leverage.

Reel fast, thanks for the tips. I'll try a range of hooks. I have these ones though and lots.

Anyways, I have a go at more of bait fish buck tail. This one looks great for Constance to me.

Materials:
Upper: Green polar bear hair and brown deer hair
Body/tail:Glow hootchie tentacles(second use for a trashed hootchie) green sparkly stuff and crystal flash

Head: Red and silver thread head.

Under: White tail deer under

3/0 main hook with 2/0 stinger. When stinger leader is trashed I'll see how it fishes sans stinger.

Dry and wet pictures
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365223870.788238.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365223891.673040.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1365223901.340453.jpg

green is good. i believe the hootchie is #254 which is 'hot' from time to time. it also incorporates, white, black and pink, an interesting one to mimic. i have 2 drawers full of hooks so it is one the things you will start to accumulate. the SC15 has become my standard hook and i have used it for flies used for tarpon to pacific sails. 3x strong is the key and steel so if you get cut off the hook is going to rust out pretty quickly. get your stinger inside the fly body not haning out the back, is a tip i would pass along. visit your local emporium such as 'micheals' and find some doll eyes. l'll post up a couple of jpegs of epoxied heads later today.

here are a few more to think about. if you don't know about this site, it has everything you could possibly need: saltwaterflies.com

Attachments

• blackmouth.jpg
    blackmouth.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 137
Here is a couple from lots of years ago. All have caught many a large Rainbow over 10lbs on Okanagan lake as well as a few coho out of Bamfield.

Key for us was to find real polar bear hair and always add the red. Also front hook is wrapped with lead. Tried no lead and had not much luck compared to the ones with.

Blue was best as evidenced by the shape it is in,green and yellow close seconds.

DSC02788.jpg

DSC02789.jpg

Jencourt, those look nice. I tried a couple similar.

Here is a summary of what I've got so far; a few needle fish and some anchovies sized bait fish style. All of them have some glow tied in with either shredded glow hoochies or kids glow lace.

I had a bunch of trashed and under-used hootchies....which make a great head to finish them off. Pretty stoked how well that worked out. I figure tying in some hoochie tentacles into the core adds a bit of mass to it(like a real bait fish?).

Dry and wet pics.

Now just need to get out and try them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365742712.826835.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365742712.826835.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 106
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744074.348330.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744074.348330.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 106
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744107.005361.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744107.005361.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 109
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744131.417126.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744131.417126.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 108
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744156.004097.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744156.004097.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 109
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744193.965756.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1365744193.965756.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 107
Thinking I'm going to get into making sand-eel flies. I've never tied or made a fly in my life before though.... My first question is :- Hooks. I was thinking of going absolutely no smaller than 2/0 and might go bigger at times up to 4/0. I would imagine I'll need long shank in these. Who makes such hooks? And also, which epoxy is best for saltwater? Is a straight-eye on hooks good? Or do I need hooks with offset eye?

Thinking I'm going to get into making sand-eel flies. I've never tied or made a fly in my life before though.... My first question is :- Hooks. I was thinking of going absolutely no smaller than 2/0 and might go bigger at times up to 4/0. I would imagine I'll need long shank in these. Who makes such hooks? And also, which epoxy is best for saltwater? Is a straight-eye on hooks good? Or do I need hooks with offset eye?

all good questions:

hooks - i tie exclusively now on Gamakatsu SC15's, you don't need long shank hooks. sizes 1/0 to 8/0 depending on what i am fishing for.
glue - superglue, exclusively, as i have found it is the only product that holds together in constant salt water use.
epoxy - gorilla 2 part epoxy for doing beautiful heads.

a friend brought me some 'doll eyes' to try out. they are much thicker than those you would purchase in a fly shop. here is what the looks is all about that along witha peek at one of my saltwater fly boxes:

Attachments

• bugeyefly.jpg
    bugeyefly.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 108
  • saltflybox1.jpg
    saltflybox1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 107
a friend brought me some 'doll eyes' to try out. they are much thicker than those you would purchase in a fly shop. here is what the looks is all about that along witha peek at one of my saltwater fly boxes:

very cool, thanks for sharing. are those spinner blades and clevises? when do you use those?

very cool, thanks for sharing. are those spinner blades and clevises? when do you use those?

A spinner in front of a bucktail is absolutely deadly when bucktailing for coho. And a mother of pearl spinner can be even deadlier if it doesn't spin your bucktail too much.

thats it, wakeflying. about 30' of fly line stripped off, fly in the wake on the surface. troll right next to kelp beds, in tight.

give it a shot and see how it works when wet. not sure how it would work for bucktails but it would certainly be a good dubbing for fresh water fly bodies.

Loved the vdieo...specifically the end...lol, watched the herring spawn as well...good work Andrew...

Getbent

Back