Humminbird 798 CI HD finder/gps

BigBadBrad

hey guys,

I have had this unit for 6+ years now and always have trouble when I’m fishing in 350ft + of water.

It has a hard time finding bottom and even in 300ft of water the screen gets very cluttered. I have tried a bunch of setting and checked my transducer multiple times but still have no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BBB

is your head unit set onto saltwater or freshwater, my 500 series had issues with bottom dropping out or not graphing at all and once I switched to saltwater it works great. Also make sure your not in auto range either, especially for marking fish if you want to see those arches you see on the box you have to set to manual range and change your khz settings on the head unit for the transducer.

A couple of transducer characteristics that can affect performance are transducer frequency and and the "cone" angle.

Lower frequency sound will have less attenuation (dissipation of energy) than higher frequency sound over the same distance (depth). Dual frequency transducers allow you select one frequency of two. If your transducer and multifunction display allow you to do this, selecting and using the lower frequency will provide better results at depth.
Switching to a lower transducer frequency will reduce the sensitivity and reduce the clutter. A lower frequency transducer - like 90 kHz will perform differently than say a 200 kHz transducer and improve your chances of "seeing" the bottom at 350 feet.

You didn't mention your speed. If you are travelling at planing speed (20 knots) and your transducer has a narrow "cone" angle you may be out of position to receive the return signal in deeper water. I find it hard to maintain a signal in less than 200 feet of water at 25 knots and impossible in 500 feet at 25 knots.

Turbulence, air bubbles, chop will dramatically affect performance. Where and how your transducer is mounted will affect performance. Shooting a transducer beam through a fibreglass hull, will also affect performance.

I have some work experience in commercial sonar. There is a guy on "the hull truth" forum, Semper Fi? , who is a real expert at diagnosing these issues. You may want to check those threads.

Hope this is helpful.

When fishing in deep water I find it best to set the finder to a set depth, instead of the auto depth that is always trying to find bottom. Besides, I don't care what's at 500 feet when I'm only fishing up to 200 feet down. Ihave an 1159, so I assume your 798 would have a similar setting.

Back