How to you catch Kokanee in the Cariboo?

Hey BGM thanks for the insite on the sling blade flashers but looking at the website they just look like a regular spoon is there something different about them I.m not seeing? Also I've never heard about using hoochies either ,thanks FH327

They do look like a spoon, in fact some folks use spoons as a flasher too, without the Siwash hook. The Sling Blade can be bent to produce a different action though as they are quite thin compared to some spoons

I have fished for sockeye in the chuck with good results but we I usually fish 4 rods and I add the Kone Zone flashers to my cannon balls on both sides for extra flash. The problem is the regs are different in fresh water and limit an angler to 1 rod per person (unless on your own) so that technique is not feasible. I did find some small dogers (4" long) made by P-line and I'm going to try those this spring with a small hoochie and see if it works.

I found a great selection of small hoochies at Nikka in Richmond. I bought a pack of 50/50 light pink and clear radiant (purple hase) to try. I'm planning on riging it up with a couple of green beads in it and using a small red gammy hook. I use the red gammy hooks for sockeye in the chuck and it seems to increase my hits. One tip to try is to use a stiff leader behind your spoon or flasher (like 30-40lb mono/floro); I know this sounds like major over kill for a 2lb fish but the stiffer line throws the hoochie better and will increase the action by 200% meaning more hook-ups. This is something most anglers do not consider and it has helped me a lot when fishing for sockeye in the chuck.

Rule of thumb I picked up from the US kokanee forums wrt small dodger leader length is 3-4x dodger length for micro-hoochie leaders and 4-6x dodger length for small spoon leaders. Haven't tried my Sling Blades yet but bought an assortment on line this winter and plan on trying them out with hoochies, small dick nite and small needlefish spoons this spring/summer on Monte, Woods, Okanagan, Bridge, Horse and Deka Lakes. I notice the regs have changed on Woods Lake:

Quota only 2/day and only open for retention of kokanee Apr 15-May 31(closed June 1 through Apr 14)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1113/region8.html

Ukee

Kokanee in the Caraboo can be caught using a small willow leaf with a 10" leader with a wedding band (orange) and worm. run you line with a 1/2 oz weight about 10-20 feet below the surface. I fish Lac La Hache Lake

On OK lake I use the same set up but with a 14 inch leader and dicknight (orange<white)

Finally got to use the Sling Blades and micro-hoochies I picked up this winter! Got my dad out with me on Monte Lake on Friday. Fishing wasn't red hot but it was steady, fished gear between 15 and 40-feet, with 20-30 ft seeing most of the action. Sling blade and pink/clear UV hoochie on one side and slingblade and orange/glo beaded wedding band on the other, hooks on both tipped with pink gulp waxies. Both worked equally well. Missed a few but still landed 7 beautiful fat, chrome 13-15 inch kokes. Two are currently on the BBQ! MMMMM - fresh sockeye in May!!

Ukee

Quick question as we are on a Cariboo thread... I am looking for contact info to buy Deka Lake lures? I used to have a number for the fellow that made them, but seem to have lost it.

Thanks in advance and look forward to chatting more to all!!

We catch a lot of Kokanee in the Thompson area on Apex's..1.5's. Black and purple or pink and white early season. Run them behind a willow leaf or fender...or the big Sun Catchers if you have a heavy enough rod. Change it out to chrome for the Summer and we are still pretty good.

Back