How to Target Sockeye's in the Salt

It looks like MA5-7 (down here in Wash.) will get a bonus Sockeye season...which is great but...
I've never caught a Sockeye anywhere, let alone in the Salt.

I'd like to figure out now what it takes to catch them in the Salt (since I never fish the lakes) so I'm starting to read up on the subject anyplace I can find info. There's a TON of info on getting them in the fresh water but I'm finding salt info kind of scarce...I could use some pointers guys.

Which lures? Or is bait preferred?
Depth to find them at generally?
Speed ? Angle on the DR about the same as for other Salmon?

You know...general stuff like this.

Not many folks target them in the salt around here and I'd just like to try is sometime.
Thanks,
Terry

Black hooks, sparse red hootchie(pull some of the strands off), short tail and red hotspot flasher. Look for staircase-and-landings markings on your sounder--those are sockeye. Stack some dummy flashers close together--you'll get 'em.

Lures google sockeye salmon lures and scroll down to the pink hoochies, some have light green glow heads and others are all pink/red. Same depth as coho salmon. Speed "Just fast enough for the flasher to work" half the speed of coho. I have a 20 inch tail between flasher and hoochie.

no need to go very deep...big schools of sockeyes can be found at 20-60 feet most of times depending on water temp. if water s too hot, they go way deeper at depth of 100 or more.

Here you go
hybapy2y.jpg

BGM shows a good diagram of one method. good actually.

I stack 4 dummie flashers above ball spaced 10 feet apart, 5 to 10 back feet off cable. above that I put a red or pink or various sox mini hootchie behind another flasher 18 to 28 inch leader

va voom

BGM shows a good diagram of one method. good actually.

I stack 4 dummie flashers above ball spaced 10 feet apart, 5 to 10 back feet off cable. above that I put a red or pink or various sox mini hootchie behind another flasher 18 to 28 inch leader

va voom

That diagram originally came from Iron Noggin, and it is also in DC Reid's book Maximum Salmon, not sure who actually drew it.

Maximum Salmon is an awesome book. for gear all the usual, mp15, pink mini plankton, red hooks with a red bead, plain black hooks... In fresh water we short float them in 10" of water with a 12" leader and use cocktail shrimp died pink for bait. Its pretty fun playing a sock with no flasher or a "betty" like the guys in the fraser use to long line em (flossing)

Save your self a little cash and instead of trimming a hootchy get a roll of red or flo orange surveyor tape. Cut off about 2" and whip tie it onto a black hook. Chop it into strands with scissors "sparse" and throw it over board!! Works like a hot damm.

Lots of flash is the key, watch for jumpers, when you start getting hits keep trolling so you dont loose the school. Two nets come in handy as well because double and triple headers are not unusual.

Back