How sad! Just love these politicians..

OldBlackDog

Slocan Valley woman seeks to file Fisheries Act charges over fuel spill

Neither the federal or provincial government has moved against owner of a tanker truck that spilled jet fuel into Lemon Creek

BY PETER O'NEIL, VANCOUVER SUN OCTOBER 2, 2014

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Slocan Valley woman seeks to file Fisheries Act charges over fuel spill

A tanker carrying 35,000 litres of jet fuel is shown after it crashed into Lemon Creek, about 60 kilometres north of Castlegar, on July 27, 2013. Most of the fuel spilled into the creek.
Photograph by: Benjamin Jordan , THE CANADIAN PRESS
“The number of deceased fish is likely higher than the numbers physically removed by crews deployed during the emergency response,” the report noted.

Of the 32,850 litres spilled, just 2,150 litres were recovered by a vacuum truck. Response teams removed 1,600 tonnes of contaminated soil along with 20 tonnes of “contaminated absorbent material and vegetation,” according to SNC-Lavalin.

The report said that jet roughly a third of the jet fuel likely evaporated within 24 hours of the spill, and the rest within nine to 12 days.

But Langer said he visited the site several months after the spill and could smell the fuel 30 metres from the creek.

Provincial New Democrat MLAs blasted Environment Minister Mary Polak in the legislature in May, saying that jet fuel is still being found in the creek, while residents who have suffered financial losses haven’t been compensated.

“So much for ‘polluter pays,’” scoffed Kootenay West MLA Katrine Conroy.

Polak said that while the government still believes strongly in the “polluter pay” principle, she couldn’t comment on compensation issues due to civil lawsuits filed by community members who claim they suffered damages.

“I know that this has been just an awful experience for the community in and around Lemon Creek,” she added.

“I can’t say enough about the community members and especially organizations like the Slocan River Streamkeepers and how they have participated and worked with us as a ministry. There is ongoing monitoring taking place and ongoing remediation.”

Calgary lawyer Martin Ignasiak said private prosecutions under the Fisheries Act are usually stayed by the Attorney General’s office. Often Crown prosecutors will consider whether the accused can successfully defend the charge by claiming they undertook reasonable “due diligence” at the time of the incident.

“Some of the issues that might be taken into consideration in that type of scenario is, ‘why was the person on that road and at whose direction, and was the road properly maintained or not?’”

poneil@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/poneilinottawa

« Previous 1 2 View as one page Next »
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

E-mail this Article
Print this Article
Share this Article

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/me...s+over+fuel/10257247/story.html#ixzz3F6N9bQtD

This is a tough one, not like a pipeline company not doing maintenance or inspections resulting in a leak or failure. Truck driver was given unclear directions, went up the wrong fork road and made a mistake resulting in accident and spill. Who do you charge? The truck driver because he found himself in the wrong place and made a mistake trying to get out of the area? The company because their driver didn't know the area or have better directions? Some times things really are accidents, and this may be one of those cases.

Regardless, luckily the impact wan't that bad. Good buddy of mine lives on the Slocan by Winlaw and says water quality was fine within the month and a year later you'd never know it happened. When I visited in September, guides with clients were fishing the Slocan downstream of Lemon Creek.

Ukee

charge the insurance company? that is what liability insurance is for..... accidents.

Back