Hook sets and hooks

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Something that I have noticed is that you should have the net wet well before they get near the boat, the sight of the net isn't as bad as the splash of it hitting the water, I find.

i don't know if i would agree with that. i think its easier to bung up a net job with the net in the water - there is no way you can move the net into position as quickly with it in the water as you can from above. additionally its harder to move out of position, if the fish turns misses the net and the line, hooks or whatever gets caught on the bag or something...

If you hold the net down in the water beside the boat and wait (while the guy on the rod tries to pull the fish to the boat without yanking the fish's head out of the water), with luck you simply lift up the net when the fish reaches the boat. In other words, when the fish is ready for the net, it's probably better to have the net already in the water. You can always lift the net out of the water if you need to move.

I think too much or too little preasure on a fish near the boat can be a problem. Too much leads to head shakes. Too little makes it hard to get a big fish to the net ...or the fish may just roll and spit the hook.

Guide says: net nyet, gaff good:D Wack em between the eyes once with the back of the gaff to stun 'em then quick a a bunny drive the gaff into the head back of the eyes and haul 'em into the boat. Of course this makes for a hard 'live release':D.

Tom

If the fish you have on doesn't seem to be fighting much or if it seems like it is comming in too quick you should be ready for him to go for a big run as soon as he sees the boat. I have seen many fish lost at the boat because people don't expect the fish to take off so fast once they do see the boat. When I'm getting ready to net the fish, I wait till the fish is tired out and has gone for a good run after seeing the boat then when the fish does come up beside the boat and is tired thats when you pull the fishes head out of the water.... at the same time the net is thrust under the fish. Don't try and net any fish if his head is still in the water. The fish is still in control but once his head is out of the water thats when you are more in control. I also agree with likwit.... don't have the net in the water and think that the fish will just climb right in.... the net will scare the fish and it just might run into the side of the net and the hook can get caught up in the net and you can say good-bye to the fish.
I also find it better if you keep the boat in gear when you are fighting a fish.... trolling as slow as possible.... this will help to keep tension on the fish... if you are in neutral when you are fighting the fish it is too easy for the fish to make the line go slack and will only increase the fishes chance of getting away.

Urchin, what you are suggesting, takes a life long time of practice, but it does work well when Mastered. I have seen many Profesionals using this techique but have yet to master it...[8D] Striper Sniper

Lastchance, that is exactly what I would have said two years ago. Hit a fish on the head and he'll for sure spit the hook or you'll knock it out of him. Not only that, the gaffer must first use the gaff to corral the line and guide the fish along-side the boat, then use his other hand on the line to maneuver the fish into a position to deliver the 'smack'. Kenny (Fish Myster) has not lost a fish doing this in my presence. I know he makes it look easy, having done it all summer long for 19 years, but... I'm a little fed up with net screw-ups; there must be a better way and I think working on the gaffing technique is probably it.

One thing I did notice, that is a properly delivered 'smack' never resulted in a thrashing or bolting fish; it was truly stunned, monetarily.I wouldn't suggest too much hesitation before using the business end of the gaff tho. I think one of the secrets to success is to have a hand on the line, at least while or when the fish is docile and along side the boat. I noted that if it ever got rambunctious, Kenny was quick to let the line go and let the fisherman continue with the rod.

I have retired my net for now and I have unleashed "THE GAFF"[8D] I may lose a few learning but learn I will[8D]. And, since I already have a couple in the freezer, what the heck?

As an edit to this, I also noticed that once the fish was smacked, Ken quickly lifted up on the line, slightly, to bring the fish's head up so that the gaff could be inserted at an effective angle.

Cheers, Tom

I agree urchin...I have gaffed salmon before and it is an art. My neighbour and his kid used to doit, basically it started out as a way to release shackers instead of putting them in the net. It progressed from there to a smack and a stab on the keepers. It is always a little nerve wracking but it is far easier if you have a couple in the boat first:D:D

quote:Originally posted by Even-tide

I had trouble with hootchies , then I went to a 4/0 stainless siwash with a bead chain spacer, works great. Use the same hook for cut strip herring with great results, put a very small inward bend in the tip and off set it.
I'm a butcher by trade so I'm a bit neurotic about shape equipment staying sharp at all times....razor sharp.
I really don't like trebles on anchovies , if the stinger get the fish the treble always seemed to get berried in the gill plate, feel bad releasing a fish with that kind of damage. #1 single holder hook with a 3/0 or 4/0 stinger (I don't like Gamies for the ocean, points to short) Eagle clam makes some nice long points ...like I said I sharpen allot.

Interesting. So you run a single 4/0 attached directly to a bead chain on your hootchies? Then a bead inside the hootchie head?

My cousin used to do some commercial fishing,he came out with me and I saw the gaff whack it is an art no doubt.Too many other things to worry about to try that,one more thing about netting large springs when you finally get him in the net lift your handle at 90 degrees to the water it locks the net shut assuming you have a deep enough net,time and time again I have seen people with wimpy little nets holding them horizontal and the salmon head and tail resting on the rim one flip and goodbye.Or the net breaks at the rim and handle joint."My god he was huge he broke my net",yeah right.DAN

Back