Honda 9.9 VS Yamaha 8hp

Barbender

Kicker question to you salts. If you had the choice which would you choose as a kicker for a 22ft boat. A Honda 9.9 4 stroke or a 8hp Yamaha high thrust 4 stroke. The dealer is telling me that the 8hp high thrust is plenty strong enough. Just curious to see if any of you had any experience on either one of these. Also any thoughts on Honda 9.9 vs Yamaha 9.9. Thanks.

I've owned both, had the honda from 83 till 95 no problems.I have a new 9.9 yamaha hi thrust, little hard to start,selling it with the old boat,but have just ordered a new 8 hi thrust yamaha for the new boat.Pleased with the yamahas.DAN

I have owned a honda 8 and a yamaha 8 high trust kicker. They have all been reliable, fuel efficient and quiet. The yamaha is hard to start cold and seems to require more rpm to run at the same speed but holds a consistent boat speed even in current. I think the alternator on the yamaha may be higher. Either are great engines.

Barbender: I just picked up a 2006 out of the box Yamaha T8 from Parker in Courtney for 3 GR taxes in. Klob

I'm not sure how actual power output compares between those 2 - but remember the more power your kicker has the lower RPM you can run it at to troll and the quieter it will.

We put many 9.9 and a few 8 hp high thrust yami's on our EagleCraft boats up to 32 footers. I don't find them hard to start they just like to warm up for 5 minutes or they will stall out when you kick them into gear. Once they are warmed up they are good for the day even if you are stopping and starting them again later.

Cheers ME

Cheers

All very helpfull answers. I appreciate the replys. I am leaning towards the Yami 8hp HT. Looks like it has plenty of HP and has a great reputation. Cheers.

Last year I bought a new 24' Bayliner classic. The dealer sold me on a 8hp Yamaha high thrust motor. Works great in the ocean. Good motor to have. I also had him install a remote steering device which is great.

Owned yamaha 9.9 for 7 years. Plenty of power, but hard to start. Would buy it again.

I have had both, 8hp Honda and a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust. Both good motors, but I like the hight thrust better on the yammy and the parts are a bit cheaper too.

I have a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot as a kicker on my Marlin. It works great. I only wish it were a power tilt the way it is set up. It can sit for a couple of weeks I prime it and choke it and it starts on first try. Very quiet and has nevr let me down.

I have a new 8 high thrust I dont have anything to compare it to but pieces of sh.t.
havent had a problem starting it in the cold. I thinks its an awsome engine. The electric tilt is a nice option :D

Also got a Yam T8 and I'm quite happy with it. Starts no problem and yes the electric tilt is ok, but if I'd get another one I would get a rope start instead of the electric start. Just in case the battery dies over winter, you'll have an easier time starting the motor and charging the battery.

Cheers,
Vic

We had a thread on this before , but I still have my 8 HT Yamaha and there is no problem with it starting in the cold , have not had a bit of trouble at all , nice motor.

AL

quote:Originally posted by pescaru

Also got a Yam T8 and I'm quite happy with it. Starts no problem and yes the electric tilt is ok, but if I'd get another one I would get a rope start instead of the electric start. Just in case the battery dies over winter, you'll have an easier time starting the motor and charging the battery.

Cheers,
Vic

You can actually just remove the plastic cover over the flywheel, and start it like a British Seagull. That cover can be removed permanantly if need be, it doesn't really do anything.

have owned a 9.9 for three years hard starting caused by no fuel in the carb the float valve sticks and sometimes needs carb removal and loosining undo the screw on botttom of carb and see if any gas comes out if not give the carb a rap with something and try to loosen the valve (not too hard) I am trying to run it out of gas by removing the gas line and running it out so its dry when I go to start the next time ----lots of luck!

Let me preface this by saying I am not a Honda fan BUT I've got a Honda 8HT and have had no problems with it thus far...no issues starting (it is electric and manual) and it seems to put out a decent charge and is a great of fuel.

Back