Herring stocks rebounding

Please feel free to show me any evidence over the past 50 years of a closure that DFO enacted that was later taken off the books. Once closed, forever closed, has been my experience.
The Fraser chinook fishery wasn't open for retention once upon a time and we had to fight for access. Then Chinook were plentiful, and once the decline was apparent I wouldn't even fish the slot in favor of letting them pass. There have been years where it has opened briefly but spoiled by bottom bouncers.

Here is the OG protest. The girl reeling in the fish in the opening is my sister.

The Fraser chinook fishery wasn't open for retention once upon a time and we had to fight for access. Then Chinook were plentiful, and once the decline was apparent I wouldn't even fish the slot in favor of letting them pass. There have been years where it has opened briefly but spoiled by bottom bouncers.

Here is the OG protest. The girl reeling in the fish in the opening is my sister.

They closed it down back then because the stock got hammered in commercial sockeye fishery's and the Thompson chinook return dropped below 2k fish, it was decimated, last year its estimated that around 600k returned. we a recent annual return over over 100k

1710097711350.png

They closed it down back then because the stock got hammered in commercial sockeye fishery's and the Thompson chinook return dropped below 2k fish, it was decimated, last year its estimated that around 600k returned. we a recent annual return over over 100k

View attachment 103998
and sadly thats mostly Shuswap fish whereas the North Thompson chinook are still struggling. You could retain adult Chinook above Kamloops last year but they're kinda banged up by then. Lower is better but they won't risk morts for the Barrier fish so they all go back. 1710101285466.png

I'm reasonably sure that the biggest drain on herring stocks in the Gulf of Georgia is Sea Lions. To give an example , the population of sea lions in the Gulf in 2019 was 35000. They eat 250# a day each , that's 4375 tons PER DAY. The total commercial harvest in 2023 was 21,000 tons. Do the math and tell me the commercial harvest is to blame for any of it
These data/graphs are from WCVI:

Attachments

• pred.png
    pred.png
    432.1 KB · Views: 35
  • prey.png
    prey.png
    577 KB · Views: 28
  • sea lions1.png
    sea lions1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • sea lions2.png
    sea lions2.png
    876 KB · Views: 27
  • seals1.png
    seals1.png
    793.8 KB · Views: 26
  • predators2.png
    predators2.png
    864.7 KB · Views: 30
Subject:
FN0229-COMMERCIAL - Herring - Roe: Seine - Strait of Georgia - Closure - March 12, 2024

The roe Herring seine fishery in the Strait of Georgia, announced in FN0194, which opened on March 6, 2024 will close today, March 12, 2024 at 22:00 hours.

Validations and current off-ground hails total 3148 tons.

Variation Order No. 2024-SOG-HS-001 will be revoked.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Eamon Miyagi - 250-203-2543 - eamon.miyagi@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0229
Sent March 12, 2024 at 2147

Back