Herring roe on kelp?

sly_karma

Crew Member
Good friend was given a big bag of herring roe on kelp by some north coast FN colleagues. We tried it quick sauteed in garlic butter. Raw was a bit too rubbery for my liking. Lots left, would like to try other ideas. Anyone got recipes?

2014-11-23 19.21.45.jpg

Wow beautiful!! Was that piece frozen? Raw with soy sauce. Good score!! I have had a bit of that here and there over the years but mine was more yellow. Also very nice on spruce branches(I believe) where the roe slightly takes on the flavour of the spruce needles. Such a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was given to my friend already chopped and frozen, quite a large bag, about 2 lb. We tried it raw and pan fried, that accounted for about half. The rest went in the dehydrator for 12 hrs and it made something like chips, not too salty or seaweedy. The Grey Cup crowd ate them up pretty easily.

I ate lots over my commercial years in many different ways but could never aquire a taste for it. Best way to eat roe is to squeeze it right out of the herring in to your mouth. I made more than one deckhand puke doing that

when we used to harvest rok the indians would boil water then put a blob of oolachon grease in and dip the kelp in. Not my favorite. Personally fried in garlic and butter or raw with soya and wasabi.

Pickle it. Use some juice from a pickle flavour you like. Or look up a recipe on the net.

Back