Herring roe fishery

Wow your fighting hard there. BTW I never said FN shouln't have a fishery. Not sure where your going with that one. I believe there are some FN that work in this fishery.
BTW i never said you personally said first nations shouldn't have a fishery, but i think you know where I'm going with that. I'm sure there is first nations involved in the fishery that doesn't make it any less destructive. If our intention is to conserve and rebuild salmon stocks where does removing a formerly massive food source fit in. Is it more important to have commercial guys on our "side" or to have a viable strong food source for salmon stocks going forward. If sport fisherman keep thinking we can have it both ways we are doomed and so are salmon.

Agreed that we should the best science available and - and if need be - find the resources to develop additional science where needed. And altho individual FN fishermen are sometimes involved in the capture (i.e. gillnet & seine) herring fishery - most FNs oppose these large-scale large-biomass fisheries, and opt for the spawn-on-kelp (AKA roe-on-kelp) fisheries instead.

There are additional components not really yet discussed as well - the increases in both hake and humpback whale interception of herring, and to a lesser extent - seals:

Attachments

• predators.png
    predators.png
    662.3 KB · Views: 26
Agreed that we should the best science available and - and if need be - find the resources to develop additional science where needed. And altho individual FN fishermen are sometimes involved in the capture (i.e. gillnet & seine) herring fishery - most FNs oppose these large-scale large-biomass fisheries, and opt for the spawn-on-kelp (AKA roe-on-kelp) fisheries instead.

There are additional components not really yet discussed as well - the increases in both hake and humpback whale interception of herring, and to a lesser extent - seals:

Interesting.

The current government policies federal and provincial as based on popular demand Science is not being used for decisions. The environmentalists are making up science and numbers and the government is being forced to side with them to keep votes. If the commercial fishery goes away the government will stop test fishing and the only science we will hear is bleeding heart left wings will just make up numbers to use to shut down all fishing. Just my opinion

The current government policies federal and provincial as based on popular demand Science is not being used for decisions. The environmentalists are making up science and numbers and the government is being forced to side with them to keep votes. If the commercial fishery goes away the government will stop test fishing and the only science we will hear is bleeding heart left wings will just make up numbers to use to shut down all fishing. Just my opinion
Why can it not be as simple as laying off the herring and letting them build back towards historic levels and go from there. Why manage the historical low numbers and play Russian roulette. What’s wrong with erring on the side of Wild Salmon’s dinner bell. There are way less herring in the SOG than there used to be and I don’t think too many sport fishermen would disagree with that just based on historical observations. They used to sell herring rakes to get your own bait fresh.

Why can it not be as simple as laying off the herring and letting them build back towards historic levels and go from there. Why manage the historical low numbers and play Russian roulette. What’s wrong with erring on the side of Wild Salmon’s dinner bell. There are way less herring in the SOG than there used to be and I don’t think too many sport fishermen would disagree with that just based on historical observations. They used to sell herring rakes to get your own bait fresh.
As far as I am aware only the SoG was open this year for roe herring. And the WCVI & HG has been closed since ~2005 or so, the CC since 2017 and PRD since 2018. Some SoK happening in PRD, CC & SoG. Wasn't the SoG the only place open this year for capture herring?
sog.png

Last edited:
"Please be advised that the 2021/22 Food and Bait and Special Use commercial herring fishery openings, tentatively planned for November 20, 2021, will be delayed. An update will be provided through the Fishery Notice system (Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Fishery Notices (dfo-mpo.gc.ca) once the harvest plans have been approved."

With the Herring roe fishery quota for East Vancouver Island now cut in half and the other areas remaining closed stocks will have a better chance of rebuilding.

Back