Help Needed

NewFisher

Hey guys,

Been following the forum for a while, finally decided to sign up. I recently moved to Vancouver from the prairies and have decided to take up fishing as my newest hobby. I have purchased a Sea Eagle Foldcat inflatable pontoon fishing boat that I recently tried out with great success on the lakes in Whistler. My next adventure will be to take the boat on the ocean; I have a 55lb MinnKota Riptide motor so the salt won't be an issue. I will obviously be staying relatively close to shore as the boat is not big and fairly susceptible to winds (not currents so much as it sits on top of the water).

I was hoping that someone could help me out with some beginner tips for saltwater fishing close to shore. I am not sure where to start, what species to target, or even what methods to use. Ideally I'd like to target salmon, but I'm not sure how realistic this is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stay in very protected waters........... and only in the smoothest of conditions. Wind effect can take over and your range with an electric motor will be limited. So stay in Indian arm, Port Moody inlet, Porteau cove (when its flat), Vancouver harbour(east of 2nd narrows). Try parts of the fraser with upriver launch (i.e Aggasis) and downriver retrieve points (Island 22) during sockeye and bar fishing season. You will be able to get to bars and make your way down the river and fish different bars along the way. Be wary of this river though and always stay on the inside edge of the current. You would be far better off to remove the electric motor and get a small 5 or 6 horse outboard for moving from spot to spot and to get you home.

Back