Have you ever been scared?

Late October, Athabasca river, 12km south of McMurray, river in flood stage, snowing out, 17ft open jet boat, dumb and dumber out moose hunting. Clothing, heavy insulated work coveralls on, heavy winter boots, NO LIFE JACKETS, A FEW DRINKS IN OUR GUTS,we come to the foot of a big set of rapids, no river experience, decide to run these rapids right up the center. We were well engaged in the rapids when I think OH **** THIS IS SO WRONG! No turning around I tell my friend (dumber) to hang on. Well I remember seeing mountains of water around us and we hit one rock in the bottom of a trough then we were in the clear above the rapids. We look at each other and say...WTF? How do we get back down? We circled around for what seemed like an hour looking at the rapids and I notice that inside the corner is about three or four steps of small ledges. I went towards them and down each one like going down a mountain switchback. Soon we were back in more comfy water and we then decided that we could not wait to get back home and discuss our stupidity.
This happened more than thirty years ago and it is the first time I have told this story, since that time I have learned through experienced river runners how to shoot most rapids. Both of us are still alive and well having turned this into an excellent lesson. I still break out in shudders whenever I think of how close we came to not being any more.

Holy smokes Dave that was a hell of an ordeal you went through. A femur snapped like that is pretty serious. Lucky it was your legs that absorbed all the damage and not your back, or you could have been in the same condition as Rick Hansen. Still you must have taken some time to pull through that one and get walking again.....

My neck got tweaked but, yes, I am lucky! 3 months in a wheel chair, another 9 months on crutches, 5 surgeries. Femur didn't heal for almost a year. It couldn't bridge the gap since some bone fragments were removed. Bone graph and 6 screws finally did it. Can do most things now with only minor swelling and pain.

My story is one told too often of the siren of Sooke waters. Back in the day when sockeye was always open, my father and I took to the waters around Secretary Island in his 14 ft aluminum, It was a beautiful summer morning, in the thick of the spring run. Anticipation turned into frustration ,as the springers turned off that day,so we decided to hit the tidelines for sox's. The fishing did not disappoint , but the siren had other plans.
A quick puff of wind directed our attention to a wisp of cloud ,a wolf in sheep's clothing as it seems, for the next gust marked the arrival of an ominous, impenetrable wall of cloud. Glassy water was shattered as vessels large and small scrambled to retreat. Like a cavalry charge, waves grew from 6 inches to 6 feet in a roar of wind that took 2 minutes to mass. Powered only with a 20 hp motor, father and son embarked on a 40 minute ride of fear. Unable to clear the troughs, we were only afforded rare glimpses of the land we sought.Ocean debris appeared out of nowhere; expansive rafts of kelp and logs of wood passed precariously close. The thunder of larger motors surrounded us, and only when these vessels entered the trough we rode could we see the boats, some three times our size, fleeing the same horde that threatened us. With both of us seated in the rear, our tiny ship plowed bow high into the walls of water, taking sips from the deep with each slide. Secretary Island was within our reach, but the harbour to the west was unobtainable, the waves dictating our only escape. The island,our sole landmark and our savior, provided us with a means of escape as we slipped into the lee and rounded the corner to Sooke Harbour. Only when we were safely behind the breakwater did we notice that our catch of the day was floating around our shins.
My father turned to me and let loose a furious laugh, one that was as much a release of tension as it was a salute to our safe return. I joined him.
The siren would not claim us this day, but her mark was left. Our safety was left solely to the wits and nautical experience of my father, and a lesson was engrained in me to this day. The Lady of the deep will take indiscriminately. Heed her warnings

as a postscript to the story, another boat was lost that day, and two bodies were never recovered.
Safety equipment is available(and mandatory) for a reason. Use it.

Good story, Hootchiebob. I've fished Sooke waters since the early 80,s,and seen the 'Sooke Siren' as you call her, many ,many times.
As you implied,it comes out of nowhere,and is indiscriminate of who she claims.

Me and my brother were fishing off secertary island about 15 years ago for the night bite. Flat calm for the first few hours, we were wondering why no one else was out. Wind came up big time, we were in a older 18' sangstercraft boat, we stoped fishing and stayed behind the island put all the gear away and put the floatercoats on. Tried to go around the outside, huge whitecaps no way, looked at the inside huge rollers,went for it. Got about half way and the bow of the boat went under took the wave over the winsdshield and the motor was out of the water, did about 3 of those with my brother screaming were going to fingg die. Managed to get in front of sooke harbour entrance trying to time the waves so we could turn, took a wave sideways that almost turned the boat over, by the time we got around the spit we had over a foot of water in the boat. Bilge pump had a switch in the stern that my brother could not get to because we were hanging on for our lives. we so close to sinking, actualy the boat was half sunk and we never told our wives how close it was. I have a 185 DE now and fish renfrew alot and i am scared to go to swiftsure and have tried and turned back a few times. I always check big wave dave before heading out and will never forget that night ever......

Went out to fish the Trap Shack with the wife and another couple from Alberta. The other couple had never been on the ocean and she had never even been in a boat. Anyway we were in a 16 ft Hourston with the old cable steering in it. Fished the morning and no problems, later that afternoon the wind starts to pick up and I say maybe we should start heading back. That was the kiss of death. Next thing I know the kicker packs it in. Not to worry we still have the big motor, No it decides it will not start. By this time the other couple I can see is getting nervous. The other couple are looking for the life jackets she starts to cry. So I get on the CB(didn't have VHF's back then)called Marina to tell them are problem to let them know we were out there. Finally get the big motor started, but by this time we are taking waves over the front of the boat. The other girl is under the dash crying, he's white as white and my wife is looking at me for that look "Are We Ok" and I'm not saying a word. I then tell them "we'll be fine, we just have to make it around the Head and we'll be OK". I mean what else can happen, only to find out a minute later. The pulley for the steering breaks and we have no steering. We have power but no steering, so I get down on my hands and knees and hold the motor straight and get the wife to do the throttle. All the while taking waves over the windshield and having them crashing on to me down on my knees in the back. Had about 6" of water in the back of the boat, just hoping that the batteries wouldn't short out and kill the engine. Told my buddy to start bailing. We rounded the head and the water started to calm down a bit and we made it back to the dock. I was freaking mad went up to the office and started in on the guy about not sending any help and he says "it was to rough out there and he didn't want to send anyone out in that weather". No $HIT I was there. Wife still can't believe I stayed so calm out there. The other couple I don't think they have ever gone on a boat since. Can't say I was scared out there, but it was the closest I've been Had we had no power it would have been a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out to fish the Trap Shack with the wife and another couple from Alberta. The other couple had never been on the ocean and she had never even been in a boat. Anyway we were in a 16 ft Hourston with the old cable steering in it. Fished the morning and no problems, later that afternoon the wind starts to pick up and I say maybe we should start heading back. That was the kiss of death. Next thing I know the kicker packs it in. Not to worry we still have the big motor, No it decides it will not start. By this time the other couple I can see is getting nervous. The other couple are looking for the life jackets she starts to cry. So I get on the CB(didn't have VHF's back then)called Marina to tell them are problem to let them know we were out there. Finally get the big motor started, but by this time we are taking waves over the front of the boat. The other girl is under the dash crying, he's white as white and my wife is looking at me for that look "Are We Ok" and I'm not saying a word. I then tell them "we'll be fine, we just have to make it around the Head and we'll be OK". I mean what else can happen, only to find out a minute later. The pulley for the steering breaks and we have no steering. We have power but no steering, so I get down on my hands and knees and hold the motor straight and get the wife to do the throttle. All the while taking waves over the windshield and having them crashing on to me down on my knees in the back. Had about 6" of water in the back of the boat, just hoping that the batteries wouldn't short out and kill the engine. Told my buddy to start bailing. We rounded the head and the water started to calm down a bit and we made it back to the dock. I was freaking mad went up to the office and started in on the guy about not sending any help and he says "it was to rough out there and he didn't want to send anyone out in that weather". No $HIT I was there. Wife still can't believe I stayed so calm out there. The other couple I don't think they have ever gone on a boat since. Can't say I was scared out there, but it was the closest I've been Had we had no power it would have been a different story.

Wow there's the epitome of Murphy's law!!!

Every time I hook the truck to the ball, till the time I disconnect & place the block on the tires
Scared, Yes & addiction to my love..............yes

Great stories, I thought that I would share. Port McNeill about 15 years ago, 4 friends and myself headed out early one morning, early with low light. We left the dock and followed a larger boat out. The other boat was faster and as we went it was getting further and further away, untill it just came to a stop, as we caught up, the boat powerd up and headed off again. We got to the site that the boat stopped and we could see something in the water. It was a big shark 300 to 400 lbs body like a dolphin ( six gill I would guess) floating on top of the water. So we decide to poke it, make sure it's dead, then we flip it around so we can look at the teeth. Then one of the guys decides to get out his camera and starts taking pictures. Some how it was decided that we needed a picture with all of us holding up the beast, like it was a marlin or stergin. 5 guys in a 17 foot glasscraft inboard doesn't allow much room for a 300lb + shark, but with alot of struggling we made it happen. We took pictures for about 5 minutes 3 and 4 guys at a time. Untill... Well I guess you might have imagined what happend next... Shark wakes up and is very alive! 5 guys jump to the gunnels and engine cover of the boat and stare in shock at the shark as it thrashes around the floor. No idea how we are going to get it out of the boat. After much trepidation, we all pounced on it and pressed it up against the side and then slowley wiggled it up and over. Then we all looked at each other and laughed.
No idea what was wrong with the shark, it had no marks or noticable injuries. It never swam away, it was as we found it, floating on the surface wait for its next victom.

cant say i have had any weather scares...

we have a cabin on Theatis island.. water front. we tie the boat up to a buoy out front, and use a small aluminum to get to and from it. wind had picked up over night, but we had two separate ropes holding to the buoy to the boat so we figured it would be alright. come morning time we looked out... and the boat was gone. that cold sweat creeped up on me, and i had no words.

turns out BOTH the ropes had dislodged. no idea how, as my knots were near perfect ( we knew the wind was coming). thank god my neighbor on the point spotted the boat as it was drifting away, swam out to it and motored up onto the beach. was in total disbelief!

anyways. lesson learned. i upgraded to a chain with a clip!

omg scavengar that is the most f'ed up story. note to self dont put floating sharks in boat. do that have airbladders or something? crazy

thanks casper You have saved my boyfriend some ball busting. He has a thing with tearing apart anything new he buys, bikes quads etc including the new/old boat I just bought. Which steering seemd fine to me. So we havent even got to fish out of it before he tears it out and is now in pieces whole new system going in. I am lucky to have someone to do this and after reading your story double glad so I wont bust his chops anymore about it.

We got caught in a huge thunder and lighting storm in fort st.james on one of those huge lakes you cant see across there so big, in a 12ft aluminum swells bigger then us. He drove the **** outta that boat which makes me love him even more for getting us home in one piece.

Took my 14' tinny out off south end of Quadra when I first moved to Cambpell River. Thought I'd take my wife out for a little salmon fishing around the hump that everyone was telling me about. Ended up fishing wayyyy too close to the point when all of a sudden the tide change comes through and right at its worst (at one point we couldn't see anything around us, just water even though we were like 200 feet from shore) I hang my lone 15 lb downrigger ball on bottom. Tide's ripping almost faster than my boat moves under power so within like 3 seconds my little boat's on a 45 degree angle gettin dragged under and my wife's screaming bloody murder. By fluke chance I had my wire crimps sitting on the top of my tackle box and I clipped the line right before we flipped. Two results from that trip - I bought some sweet insulated lifejackets the next day and wire cutters opened juuust slightly now live permanantly in my splash well.

Great stories, I thought that I would share. Port McNeill about 15 years ago, 4 friends and myself headed out early one morning, early with low light. We left the dock and followed a larger boat out. The other boat was faster and as we went it was getting further and further away, untill it just came to a stop, as we caught up, the boat powerd up and headed off again. We got to the site that the boat stopped and we could see something in the water. It was a big shark 300 to 400 lbs body like a dolphin ( six gill I would guess) floating on top of the water. So we decide to poke it, make sure it's dead, then we flip it around so we can look at the teeth. Then one of the guys decides to get out his camera and starts taking pictures. Some how it was decided that we needed a picture with all of us holding up the beast, like it was a marlin or stergin. 5 guys in a 17 foot glasscraft inboard doesn't allow much room for a 300lb + shark, but with alot of struggling we made it happen. We took pictures for about 5 minutes 3 and 4 guys at a time. Untill... Well I guess you might have imagined what happend next... Shark wakes up and is very alive! 5 guys jump to the gunnels and engine cover of the boat and stare in shock at the shark as it thrashes around the floor. No idea how we are going to get it out of the boat. After much trepidation, we all pounced on it and pressed it up against the side and then slowley wiggled it up and over. Then we all looked at each other and laughed.
No idea what was wrong with the shark, it had no marks or noticable injuries. It never swam away, it was as we found it, floating on the surface wait for its next victom.

Dude, where's the pictures, would love to see them?

Back