Hartley Bay and beyond

T

taipan

I'm going to moore my boat at MK marina in Kitimat this season and am planning a few 3/4 day trips past hartley bay. I'm not looking for any specifics just some general ideas of the best direcion to go once you pass hartley. Campania? Trutch? Any info is appreciated.

What kind of boat do you have? I know of some really good bottom fish, and crabbing areas I would be willing to trade for some good salmon areas...

Later in June head down around Barnard Harbour, can't remember the names of the places we fished but there were 2 waterfalls that produced, also a lighthouse.

Later in June head down around Barnard Harbour, can't remember the names of the places we fished but there were 2 waterfalls that produced, also a lighthouse.

Thanks I'll look into that. I know there's a lodge in barnard harbour during the summer so it must be decent. Did you go up there with a guide or on your own?

Thanks I'll look into that. I know there's a lodge in barnard harbour during the summer so it must be decent. Did you go up there with a guide or on your own?

Your heading in a good direction but watch the weather as the squally channel can get lumpy and the weather changes quickly. I spend a bit of time out their. If you read your charts and talk to the people at the dock's they should point you in the right direction. I have the same boat. A 1995 2556 with a 7.3L. Great boat but I have upgraded to a 3788 so mine is for sale if anybody is looking.

quote:Originally posted by taipan

It was about 10 year ago with Westcoast Resorts they tow the Lodge to Barnard Harbour (Whale Channel) for the early part of the season.

There's also another lodge closer to Hartley Bay that there for the whole season can't remember the name very upscale and further south St. John's is around Campania somewhere and Big Time is tucked away as well.

Anyway I wasn't too impressed with the area at all but some people did ok.

Fish (Salmon) travel fast and in small groups the bite is short, short, short they hit and go of course they have Orcas on the butt the whole time, plus many of the fish are quite mature I never saw so many dark fish taken in the chuck, once it rains they're gone home now no hanging around.

Halibut are like everywhere on the central coast they may be there they may not some spawning goes on around Barnard Harbour in May that's when the natives fish them have for thousands of years.

quote:Originally posted by Skinny Dipping

Your heading in a good direction but watch the weather as the squally channel can get lumpy and the weather changes quickly. I spend a bit of time out their. If you read your charts and talk to the people at the dock's they should point you in the right direction. I have the same boat. A 1995 2556 with a 7.3L. Great boat but I have upgraded to a 3788 so mine is for sale if anybody is looking.
Wow a 3788 is quite the upgrade. I guess you won't be trailering that too often. Will you be leaving that in Kitimat as well?

I know not allot of people like to share thier "good" spots but I am a different type of fisherman so here goes...These are some REALLY good spots so mark them down if you are serious of catching fish and crab...

1- If you head to Gobeil Island..just on the east side inbetween Goebeil and and Cleo is fantastik bottom fishing. You will find everything from Yellow eye, Halibut..Ling and everything inbetween.

2 - Of course Coste Rocks has to be mentioned. All around it, especially on the North side there is a spot where there is sandy bottom at about 110-130 feet. You will catch good numbers of rock fish there as well.

3 - Bishop Bay is great for crabbing (Dungies)

4 - Eagle bay is great for cabbing (Dungies)

5 - Kitsawy bay has an anchorage there right in it, and is very protected. I catch TONNES and TONNES of Dungies there, and begining of April to middle of Amy I have done very well at the King Crab. There is a spot in the middle of the bay that has green mud...GREEN MUD = KING CRAB!!!

6 - Kildala Arm is good Salmon fishing!!!

7 - If you can make it into Fosh Lagoon...Carfull you MUST do this at high tide because the entrance is very shallow...You will with out a dougbt catch your limit in all bottom fish but not Halibut. It is very protected in there, and you should putter around in there for 2 days if you have the time. The rockfish get trapped in there due to the entrance being so shallow, however the bay is about 300-350 feet deep in places, and the rockfish thrive in there!!! This is a MUST DO!!!

I hope that help. Take lots of pictures and send me a couple. If you have any questions about these spots just ask...

That's more of a response than I was expecting. I've heard of most of the places that you mentioned and have tried a few. Actually did quite well at the mouth of kitsway for prawns once. I haven't gone down the KIldala arm yet but my buddie has a jet boat and we were thinking of running that river in coho season. Was organizing my computer and thought I'd post a few pics, can't wait to get out there!http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg156/vangenne123/

Great pics...If you wanna go out some time if we are there at the same time lets do it!!! I don't get out there as much as I would like to..Alberta boy...

quote:Originally posted by Kris

Hey where did you catch those Halie's??? and the Yellow eye...great fish!!!
caught those 2 years ago just out of port edward on the south side of porcher island

Back