halibut allocation debate

Deewar25

He gets it - very fair/unbiased viewpoint as well...good read:

I just got back from the meeting put on by the British Columbia Wildlife Federation about the Halibut allocations in BC, held in Campbell River, my home town. This is how I understand what is happening here on the BC coast in regards to the Halibut:
An international agency determines Canada's Total Allowable Catch of Halibut (TAC) for 2011. Canada, years ago, split the TAC to be 88% Commercial and 12% Recreational. The problem is that since then the total amount of Halibut caught by the recreational fisherman has increased and the TAC has decreased. This has decreased the rec. anglers catch limit to 1 per day and 2 in possession in 2010 from 2 and 3 in 2009. This has had a profound affect on recreational fisherman, guides, lodges, Ucluelet, etc... However, last year we went over our 12% quota by 100,000lbs. Which the DFO has taken away from the rec. anglers quota in 2011. This combined with higher angler pressure and the lower TAC, may force the DFO to close the rec. fishery for halibut sometime mid summer as the rec anglers will hit their total quota.

Now... the argument from the recreational side is that, they never agreed to 12% in the first place and wanted 20% which would cover our rec. anglers catch of halibut now and into the future. The DFO should take 8% from the commercial fisherman and give it to the recreational anglers. The problem, the recreational anglers argue, is the 'slipper skippers'. They have received halibut quotas back when the DFO were giving it away, and now they no longer fish and have sold or leased those same quotas to active commercial fisherman. The active commercial fisherman now can catch more quota, but pay $5 per pound of halibut to some lease holders. So, one proposal was that the DFO buy back the leases, and give a lower percentage back to the active commercial fisherman. This would then give the commercial Halibut fisherman less quota but not having to pay the $5/lb lease payments. Thus, allowing them to make more money and at the same time giving more of that quota to the Recreational fisherman. Does this make sense? I'm sure its far more difficult for the DFO to do that then what was said at the meeting.

The commercial fisherman that were at the meeting, and there were a lot, argued that its not fair that the rec. anglers are arguing for more when they went over their limit in 2010 and now have an even lower quota. Also, they argue that the active commercial fisherman bought and paid for their quota, or pay a lease for it. And any reduction in the TAC for them would costs dozen maybe hundreds of jobs. The commercial fisherman are militant and will not move an inch. They claim that its not their fault the TAC has shrunk and the rec. angler pressure is up for halibut, why should they be penalized? I agree.

From the information that I have heard and read, it looks like the problem lies in the implementation of how commercial fisherman were given a Canadian natural resource and now they 'own' it. I have a problem with that, unfortunately the commercial fisherman are at the point of the stick because of it. The DFO should never have 'given' the Halibut quota to the commercial fisherman, but allowed them to use it until they were done actively fishing. This way the DFO could control who gets what percentage of the TAC. But sadly, what was done can not be undone. So the BCWF and partners are asking the DFO to take back 8% and give it to the rec.'s. Personally, that's not fair to the commercial fisherman. I think that since the DFO did the initial mistake of giving the quotas away, they should pay a lot of money to buy them back from commercial fisherman at a price that is beneficial to the commercial guys, because it's not their fault, so they should be compensated well. I doubt the DFO would be very excited to hear that, but any other way I don't support and I would call that unfair.

However, from an economic standpoint, 100,000 recreational fisherman bring more to the economy than 1000 commercial fisherman. More guides, hotels, towns, restaurants, tackle companies, lodges and recreational fisherman will be directly affected by a reduced quota, more so than the 1000 commercial halibut fisherman. Plus, if the DFO does what I support, the commercial fisherman will just get a cheque for the lost quota. Therefore, it only makes sense for the Canadian government to protect the recreational Halibut fishery from closing early in the season. They could probably get the money back from buying back 8% of the quota from the commercial fishermen, by not closing the recreational fishery early.

From an environmental standpoint, Canada has a Total Allowable Catch of halibut that has been assessed by the international body that determines the TAC for Canada and the US, based on scientific studies of what is the sustainable catch for the up coming year. So, it doesn't really matter who catches the TAC in Canada from a sustainability standpoint.

Looks like a long hard battle and I applaud the work of the BCWF and their partners in working towards a solution.

http://www.ramblingfisherman.com/2011/01/halibut-allocation-debate.html

I do not understand why DFO can NOT simply take back any quota that was originally given, at no cost, to commercial fishers who no longer actually fish. If DFO can give then DFO can also take away. Right? Then divide up what was returned to the Canadian people among the active commercial fishers (at the same no cost) and the recreational sector.

Problem solved and everyone should be happy except for the ex-quota holders who will have to figure out another way to get a free lunch.

I do not understand why DFO can NOT simply take back any quota that was originally given, at no cost, to commercial fishers who no longer actually fish. If DFO can give then DFO can also take away. Right? Then divide up what was returned to the Canadian people among the active commercial fishers (at the same no cost) and the recreational sector.

Problem solved and everyone should be happy except for the ex-quota holders who will have to figure out another way to get a free lunch.

That would be a logical solution, but we know DFO doesn't run on logic. I think the issue for them would then be trying to figure out annually how to distribute the unused quota. They would prefer something set in stone that never changes, not something that needs to be adjusted annually as situations change.

They would prefer something set in stone that never changes, not something that needs to be adjusted annually as situations change.

Completly false... DFO is the one that came up with an option this year that would allow flexibility and provide some certainty to all groups. What happened...oh yeah the sfab reps refused to try and develop it.

The Fisheries Minister has made it clear in writing, halibut is a common property resource belonging to all Canadians. Halibut quota share holders do not have absolute property rights under Canadian law, that is court precedent proven. The sly commercial fisherman finagled their way in to getting quasi ownership of 88% of a common property fish resource though clever, well-funded political lobbying. If halibut quota was originally gifted for "free" to 435 people, why the hell should Canadian taxpayers pay to get it back? That is totally absurd.

Instead of trying to apologise your way out of this DFO created disaster, it is high fricking time you nice folks stand up and fight for what is yours, no compromising. Be strong, be united and fight like hell! Politicians are watching you closely and they suspect you'll fold like a cheap suitcase. Prove 'em wrong.

If you don't, you can bet you a$$ your salmon, crabs and prawns are all but gifted away to a few private commercial slippery skippers too. The choice is yours.

The Fisheries Minister has made it clear in writing, halibut is a common property resource belonging to all Canadians. Halibut quota share holders do not have absolute property rights under Canadian law, that is court precedent proven. The sly commercial fisherman finagled their way in to getting quasi ownership of 88% of a common property fish resource though clever, well-funded political lobbying. If halibut quota was originally gifted for "free" to 435 people, why the hell should Canadian taxpayers pay to get it back? That is totally absurd.

Instead of trying to apologise your way out of this DFO created disaster, it is high fricking time you nice folks stand up and fight for what is yours, no compromising. Be strong, be united and fight like hell! Politicians are watching you closely and they suspect you'll fold like a cheap suitcase. Prove 'em wrong.

If you don't, you can bet you a$$ your salmon, crabs and prawns are all but gifted away to a few private commercial slippery skippers too. The choice is yours.

Pretty sure salmon was settled years ago with the rec sector getting priority access with no accountability. Just how are those south coast, strait of georgia, stocks doing these days? Last time I looked they are pretty much done. But hey how can 300,000 anglers fishiing year round have any affect...

Completly false... DFO is the one that came up with an option this year that would allow flexibility and provide some certainty to all groups. What happened...oh yeah the sfab reps refused to try and develop it.
news to me, must have missed that discussion...perhaps enlighten us in the dark as to what was proposed this year that was rejected

news to me, must have missed that discussion...perhaps enlighten us in the dark as to what was proposed this year that was rejected

That we go to a 1/1 or 1/2(depending on how long of a season everyone wanted) and make it so if anyone felt they needed to go beyond that in possession limits there was a free licences that would allow them to harvest fish that was acquired from the commercial sector. It wasn't rocket science, it wasnt perfect but it was a solution that would get us through times of low abundance like we have now.
I know there wll be those that jump on this, who knows even the spray can may come out, but it was and is a workable solution. If you are curious i can define it in better detail but quite frankly there are those around that cannot and will not comprehend much needed change.

Fish$All, I seem to remember the Strait of Georgia was closed to commercial coho fishing due to serial depletion from vast overfishing by the fleet. Area G still catches more chinook salmon than sport on WCVI. Rockfish Georgia Strait serial depletion of the rockpiles causing massive refugia and closures to the public and the fleet moves on rape more reefs along the coast.

Accountabilty? What a joke. You've lined your jeans with filthy lucre from destroying many of BC's fish stocks, and now you seek to blame the mess on others. Hippocrite troll alert!

That we go to a 1/1 or 1/2(depending on how long of a season everyone wanted) and make it so if anyone felt they needed to go beyond that in possession limits there was a free licences that would allow them to harvest fish that was acquired from the commercial sector. It wasn't rocket science, it wasnt perfect but it was a solution that would get us through times of low abundance like we have now.
I know there wll be those that jump on this, who knows even the spray can may come out, but it was and is a workable solution. If you are curious i can define it in better detail but quite frankly there are those around that cannot and will not comprehend much needed change.
ohhh, ok, yes, the 'acquisition of quota' proposal. I do recall that discussion and yes, found that totally ridiculous that me as a sport fisherman should pay for something I own, that was 'gifted' to a commercial entity. That is just an insulting proposal in my books.

Require the 67% that aren't using their quota to return it to the kitty, distribute fairly amongst the active commercial and add to the sports allowance is the most reasonable to me. Out of everything I have seen, that is the fairest of all proposals - the only guy getting 'screwed' are the ones taking the free ride. Time to give back what isn't yours, unless you are actively using it.

Back