Guides on the Cowichan

Fisherman I am a blast to fish and well worth the money we all get paid.and well thank you for clearing up what you were coming across as humor

Dont poke a sleeping grizzly bear comes to mind LOL I do hope you enjoy driving a fork lift around all day but personally I think fishing on the water in the sun and spending time with clients sounds a bit more fun if you have never guided dont have an opinion to something you have never done thats all I am saying. I wouldnt say any thing about how you drive a fork lift. so in closing ill personally!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHED A TEAR FOR YOU!!!!!! as I know you would rather be fishing then on a stinky fork lift all day thank you ( now thats humor)

Good luck Wolf

wolf your words are always so encouragin,but just let me tell ya , i might not have ever been a guide, but that does not mean i can not give my thoughts about it, thats what these fourms are for, people to express their opinions and knowledge, so just as i can give my opinions about guides,you are free to give your opinions aboout forklift drivin, and yes please shed a tear for ME as i would much rather be fishin, but for those of use that dont make a livin doin what we do, then we have to go to WORK, LOL

i have hired a guide on the cowichan once, my fishing buddy and i were by no means novices at the time, i personally fished the river at least 5 times a wk back then ( i had a job which i could manage this) we got a awesome deal only 75 bucks each, but basically all Terry had to do was row and he got to fish for himself aswell, we brought all are own gear etc, the reason we went was one the price and we had just got a drift boat and never gone down the cow yet so some experiece and advice was well worth it plus a couple tricks for fishing we learned as well(never too good to learn something new), it was worth every penny and would have paid more for the experince, i missed out on a charter with wolf for hali's 2 yrs ago with a buddy from work and i tell am i sorry i didnt go
bottom line not all of us have the equipment on knowledge to fish succesfully so a guide is the way to go, if u have the money and time to put in you most likely will never use one, but it can make the learning curve go way up in a hurry, i know lots of guys who cant afford or want the hassle of owning a boat or all the gear for maybe one or two trips a year
ok done babbling now
doh

Try this one:

www.riverquest.ca

Fished with Dave lots. Excellent success. A great trip every time.

IMHO what you pay for in a guide is experience, equipment, and local knowledge. Dave scores exceptionally well on all of these. Check the website for rates but he's always competitive.

Just back from a couple of weeks warm water fishing, I'll be hitting the Cowichan later this week. Can't wait!

Gooey

Wow, didn't expect so many posts!! Well thanks for all the input guys! I have a few contacts now and will be deciding which will be the best for the experience and money....Guiding would seem like a fishermens dream job, but like many of you said, its harder work than you think...

Joe

I luv it how the mods here zapped my last post which only stated the obvious......these guys buy some used driftboat drift a few times,roll a few fish and become guides!!In my opinion the best value is going with murphys for $400 in a nice jet sled with EXPERIENCED guides not some fly by nighter.However the cowie is a great flow and there some very good guides there however there are some real losers too!!I here the young guy from fitters is a good guy and a good angler,nice too see some new blood instead of some old beat up fly guys on the upper flow that want the flow for themselves!!Out!!

I know this is a fresh water forum, but the guides that work out of our marina earn EVERY penny they get!!!!

West Coast River Charters, hands down the best 8 hrs. you will spend on the flow. Both professionalism and quality of guiding offered in the Valley.-dirty

Hey Guys, I am have watched this forum for many years. Never felt the need to get involved. However after many years of guiding, I am now at the point in my life where I am at home in front of the computer more than I am fishing. Weather in the office or digging trenches, work is work. How valuable is your time. $350-450 a day for a guided trip is nothing. " markup"? I think not. It takes alot of work to leave the guests wanting more.The guide gets to fish is a farce. Try it some time.

Guides do your thing. Those who want to pay will, and have a good time. Those who complain can continue; and learn nothing from us;)

I used to guide many years ago for many seasons and was fortunate to have worked in an area with high demand for good guides and got lots of hours. I considered myself paid well, however, I had very long days, incurred significant expense and at times had more risk working on the water than the average Joe. I think law of supply/demand; those who can make it in the industry over many years offer a good product or they couldn't cover the expenses over the long term. People, I think mostly non-BC residents, are willing to pay going rate for a quality experience. I found the BC customers were the hardest to please.

Back