Guide boat down off Tofino

Status
Not open for further replies.
true enough profisher,,, having a proper radio most likely, having battery power to run it has left me wondering? batteries were already dead or under water? why? i know it sounds bad to ask exactly what happened and how, but, most likely as in most cases like this , a series of errors in judgement and proper preparation either of vessel or captain caused the tragedy. i dont have a blue sticker but as most on here that do venture out on the water i take great pride in prep of my boat and myself to handle situations that can arise and how to avoid them. i had a customer step on my boat 2 years ago and actually ran me through procedure, checked my bilge and stated he felt comfortable being out with me... later in the trip he explained that he was involved in an incident on a boat that could have been easily avoided if more care was taken by good friend of his... i did not mind the inspection by an experienced and cautious customer..

t... i know it sounds bad to ask exactly what happened and how, but, most likely as in most cases like this , a series of errors in judgement and proper preparation either of vessel or captain caused the tragedy...
I think that might be the most important and potentially positive thing that could come out of this - is to develop safeguards against this happening again - by analyzing how it happened. That's why the TSB (Transportation Safety Board) was instituted. I read those reports. I have a ditch bag with all those things (flares, w/p radio, etc.). I always wear a comfortable life jacket - worth the few $ investment. I am always thinking ahead of what can go wrong - and what to do if it does.

Certainly it is a great loss and tragedy for the families and everyone. If, however - some good comes out of analyzing how it happened - it can help bring some closure to the families, as well...

Maybe, maybe not. Did he have the proper radio to transmit his location, something he would have to have to get that sticker. Did he have all the required flares? Common sense can keep you from getting into trouble...having the decal and complying with TC rules will likely help save those who do get into trouble because they lack it.

I don't know all the details but this as much as i know. I'm not going to comment on the operator or speculate

- I don't know if he has a blue decal

- He was having battery problems

- A LOT of mistakes were made, bad decisions that snowballed. Including anchoring up in an area that is known to be have turbulent waters due to big currents and an very uneven bottom

- I wasn't out on the water so i can't comment on how rough it was but was working on my boat and followed the rescue on ch 16

- There was not a lot of boat traffic out that early in the season.....anywhere

- They were in contact with coast guard before they ended up in the water with their position BUT by the time any boats got there the big current had carried them over 2.5 miles away from their original position

- They were found because they had smoke flares....i carry 6 in my emergency go bag

- There was a paramedic on board one of the fishing charter boats that was involved in the rescue so the victim on that boat was afforded help as soon as humanly possible

Those are the only FACTS that i know.

I think that might be the most important and potentially positive thing that could come out of this - is to develop safeguards against this happening again - by analyzing how it happened. That's why the TSB (Transportation Safety Board) was instituted. I read those reports. I have a ditch bag with all those things (flares, w/p radio, etc.). I always wear a comfortable life jacket - worth the few $ investment. I am always thinking ahead of what can go wrong - and what to do if it does.

Certainly it is a great loss and tragedy for the families and everyone. If, however - some good comes out of analyzing how it happened - it can help bring some closure to the families, as well...
At that time of year with 48 degree water temps you won't last more than 20 mins without a cruiser or survival suit which makes a life jacket almost useless unless there are boats nearby

To be offshore compliant (25 miles plus out) you would have to have a 60 ton restricted ticket, a specific radio for that distance and either a life raft or survival suits and more. Makes sense as you will more than likely wait longer for help. Smaller commercial vessels may not be given permission to operate that far out as well.

To be offshore compliant (25 miles plus out) you would have to have a 60 ton restricted ticket, a specific radio for that distance and either a life raft or survival suits and more. Makes sense as you will more than likely wait longer for help. Smaller commercial vessels may not be given permission to operate that far out as well.

Your absolutely right Profisher
TC trumps all insurance and any underwriter will tell you what you wanna hear
The reality is that if your not TC compliant....your rolling the dice for no good reason
All the tuna guys that run offshore further than 25nm from any point of land have a difference set of rules that almost none of them are compliant

Your absolutely right Profisher
TC trumps all insurance and any underwriter will tell you what you wanna hear
The reality is that if your not TC compliant....your rolling the dice for no good reason
All the tuna guys that run offshore further than 25nm from any point of land have a difference set of rules that almost none of them are compliant

very true if they are guiding tuners.

i am insured to go for tuna recreationally, up to 200nm,, definitely not for guiding because of the TC guidelines.. i guess a waiver might help if i had paying tuna customers but following TC , i only have a 5gt ticket like most on the board.

battery trouble hey? what series of events would cause a battery failure, sitting on anchor (no alt running) while the tunes and bilge pump are both cranking? , lack of maintenance of boat or awareness of an electrical problem that caused an electrical failure?

a very large alu boat went down overnight in bam harbour a few weeks ago, a very nice boat with trip 300's, i still ask about that boat because knowing what the fault was educates my way of preparing my boat... rumour is cracked thru hull fitting and then batteries ran down. when i went to look at , all is saw was antenna tips. this was enough to scare me. never-mind what has happened in tofino and winterharbour a few years ago. with all due respect to those involved.

Last edited:
Well I didnt want to comment on this but will, The worst that has come out of this is we know for sure it has BC number we all saw it on the news so we kinda know it wasn't a registered charter boat,IT astonish me when I hear guys that dont have the "C" number or the decal they all use same excuse.... "IM WORKING on it" year after year. if you have ALL in order and they REALLY have done it all you go down with everything and they will assign the decal right there in the office ......
AS charter operators and people that hire charter guys , one of the first questions a potential client should ask is to see the credentials. and dont hire the guy if he says the above , Me personally i have a picture of my blue decal right on my website.
Whats worse is they should not have been out there in the first place 30 kt winds and 10 ft seas is no good and unfortunately these people lost there lives doing it.Its a sad day for all involved and hope it never happens again. so preventable
My condolences to the family's involved

I keep a small gas genny on board just in case we stay a bit too long anchored in a bay or tied to a dock with no shore power, having lunch, listening to music, using power up etc. without my engines running. I would assume a genny would be a must have for guys guiding with customers.
Nonetheless there's never a reason big enough to force a fishing situation. If safety is a concern with water conditions bad or other factors, who cares how many clients someone has or the $ that will be lost to stop fishing. You gotta know when enough is enough and keep everyone safe. If someone can't tell when those conditions arise then they shouldn't be out on the water period. Especially when you are taking other peoples lives in your hands.
Very sad for what happened to this group of people but when all is said and done people died because of an accident that definitely could have been avoided.

I keep a small gas genny on board just in case we stay a bit too long anchored in a bay or tied to a dock with no shore power, having lunch, listening to music, using power up etc. without my engines running. I would assume a genny would be a must have for guys guiding with customers.
Nonetheless there's never a reason big enough to force a fishing situation. If safety is a concern with water conditions bad or other factors, who cares how many clients someone has or the $ that will be lost to stop fishing. You gotta know when enough is enough and keep everyone safe. If someone can't tell when those conditions arise then they shouldn't be out on the water period. Especially when you are taking other peoples lives in your hands.
Very sad for what happened to this group of people but when all is said and done people died because of an accident that definitely could have been avoided.

generator is a kicker with a pull start.

Wolf you nailed it. I think we should all wait for the facts to be presented before we comment on this further.

Can we close this post.

Out of respect for those who died, and those left behind trying to deal with the aftermath that has now forever scarred their lives, consider this closed. I'm sure that when a thorough investigation is complete, there will be recommendations that will further enhance the potential safety for all of us who venture out on the water. But at the end of the day, human frailty being what it is, there will always be times when bad things happen to good people when they least expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back