good halibut fishing days coming up

W

Wagonmaster

Want to get into halibut fishing. It appears that one needs to look a current tables as well as tide tables. Slack tide times are often different than slack current times. Iv'e looked at the Murray Tables as well as online. Just to see if I'm interpreting things correctly, I'd love to see all you halibut experts out there post a list of dates coming up that you would consider really good days to fish halibut. (P.S. Disappointed to see Beemer's recent comment that on a recent trip out the current "was not even close to the tables").

For some reason the people on this site are tight lipped about anything to do with halibut. Even though this is a fishing site which is suppose to help one another some people would rather tell you where to go and how to get there then to help. People like Wolf and others say they are concerned about people's safety when anchoring so I agree... We should have good anchoring days posted, you never know, just might save someones life. Mind you I have ancored in some pretty bad tides and by doing so I feel I am safer then if I never tried anchoring in a strong tide. With experiance comes knowledge... very valuble knowledge. Yes it can be dangerous to anchor in a strong tide but in some situations it could save your life. I'm not saying to go out and anchor in a strong tide but I think its good experiance to be able to if needed.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

If you're looking for soft tides on a weekend, the next good one is April 9/10/11 in the Victoria area.
The ebb & flow is less than 2' over the course of each of these 3 days which should result in good anchoring .

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

For some reason the people on this site are tight lipped about anything to do with halibut. Even though this is a fishing site which is suppose to help one another some people would rather tell you where to go and how to get there then to help. People like Wolf and others say they are concerned about people's safety when anchoring so I agree... We should have good anchoring days posted, you never know, just might save someones life. Mind you I have ancored in some pretty bad tides and by doing so I feel I am safer then if I never tried anchoring in a strong tide. With experiance comes knowledge... very valuble knowledge. Yes it can be dangerous to anchor in a strong tide but in some situations it could save your life. I'm not saying to go out and anchor in a strong tide but I think its good experiance to be able to if needed.

fish.gif

It's not that we are tight lipped about hali fishing, it's that anchoring has been discussed a lot and a quick search will bring up several threads. When guys get cranky about halibut fishing talk in Victoria, it's when people want actual long and lat's for Hali fishing. The reason is simply that myself and Wolf rarely can leave the harbour without a nice little fleet following us out to where we are fishing, anchoring withing 50 feet of us sometimes, and drifting around us. Funny, it's often the same boats too that do it most of the time as well. (Not you Sea Ranger, I'm just stating in general).

Back to Wagonmaster's question, what you want is a slower tide going slack. GENERALLY the bite is at the tide change, but can happen any time. Those days are rare, so you arbitraily look for days where the current does not go past 1.6 knts, and fish away paying close attention to your rods when the current slows down. Typically, when a hali hits, you know it!

This weekend, will at best give you 2 hours of fishing time unless you anchor up behind an island or reef to stay out of the current. OR if you have your gear in at 3 AM for that small flood, and pull out at 9.

OR, once you have the currents figured out and are really comfortable with your Halibut anchoring system, study your Murray's tables, see where it's going, and sneak in behind some structure ala' fishing pools in a river and enjoy! Just make sure to watch the currents, because if you are behind an island, and the currents go the other way, you want to know you can get the heck out of there before you get up close and personal with whatever rock you anchored behind!

I will give you this.. If you want to play it safe, and maybe catch some halibut, draw a line between Trial Island and Albert HEad. You can usually fish there in all but the most extreme tides. Find 150-250 feet of water and throw your anchor at or near slack tide. It won't pick up so fast you will loose gear, and I've caught lots of halibut there.

As for safe anchoring, I'm going to have a sticky up shortly.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

For some reason the people on this site are tight lipped about anything to do with halibut. Even though this is a fishing site which is suppose to help one another some people would rather tell you where to go and how to get there then to help.

Are you really complaining that people dont give enough info on this site? Imagine finding some out on your own and not being spoonfed the info by people who worked for it. [xx(]

fish.gif

Do you have any idea how many years, effort and money it took most of us to actually become remotely successful at this? Come on, seriously.. What, do you want our coordinates too?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Remember to add an hour if you are using the Hydrographic current atlas for daylight savings, many don't know this and find things are out of Whack and ripping when they arrive to there spot! There is info on the DL savings in the index.

"Wet" Coast Hali Quota is as high as 3.75 lb for the Commercials now and the price dropped to $4/lb last week, add to it bad SE weather! should be lots more moving on through unbothered for the next set of currents[:p]

Guys like Wolf, Myself, LC, Bananas... others... have typed info regarding anchoring until we are blue in the face, do a search, it's there and lots of it. If you see a guy anchored up give him some room, lots of it, nothing worse than having drifters hooking into your anchor line over and over again. A little courtesy goes a long way.

www.tailspincharters.com

Yep, careful how you word things Ranger. Lotta guys contributing a lotta know how. Specially from the south Island. Astonishing to me how much they share sometimes.

Hey Justin I got a buddy horny for your boat! Is there a finders fee???

Hey Wagon - Look for small exchanges! Go from there...

Gimee the gaff!!!

Hi, Google "WXtide32" and download it. Play with it a lot and learn how to use it. Will help you out all over the Island. Also I think you do have to adjust an hour for Day light saving. I used this last summer and worked great.

Cheers, Rob

Hi, Google "WXtide32" and download it. Play with it a lot and learn how to use it. Will help you out all over the Island. Also I think you do have to adjust an hour for Day light saving. I used this last summer and worked great.

Cheers, Rob

I certainly wasn't looking to be spoonfed any secrets. I've done a fair amount of reading and intend to put in the hours. Just recently retired so I am not restricted to weekends. As my first post indicated, I am mainly interested in the relationship between tides and currents. I did not ask anything about anchoring, where to or even how to. There are days where the tides appear to be very favorable, but if you then go to the current tables, the water is ripping. I was curious to see if anyone's actual posted dates agreed with my picks. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer. Thanks to r.s. craven for mentioning April 9,10,11.

I certainly wasn't looking to be spoonfed any secrets. I've done a fair amount of reading and intend to put in the hours. Just recently retired so I am not restricted to weekends. As my first post indicated, I am mainly interested in the relationship between tides and currents. I did not ask anything about anchoring, where to or even how to. There are days where the tides appear to be very favorable, but if you then go to the current tables, the water is ripping. I was curious to see if anyone's actual posted dates agreed with my picks. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer. Thanks to r.s. craven for mentioning April 9,10,11.

There are many variables that impact on best tide to fish. It may be helpful to consider that the dates and size of tide depends on where you are fishing and for how long you plan to fish on anchor. As others have stated, locations not impacted significantly by tidal flow can be fished in larger tides for longer periods of time. Locations were size of tides result in larger current flow, e.g. race rocks, constance, etc, need to fished safely when current flows are smaller. Small tides and less current flow, even around max, means you can fish them for much longer periods. Large tides in these areas have only a small window of time to safely and effectively fish, and perhaps, best not fished until you know the area. A large ebb or flood tide in such an area can increase in speed over a very short period of time. Consider current speed in these high current flow areas and plan to fish/anchor when the tides are less than 1.3 knots, look at the time frame for when this window occurs, and give yourself some leaway for bad weather.

There are many variables that impact on best tide to fish. It may be helpful to consider that the dates and size of tide depends on where you are fishing and for how long you plan to fish on anchor. As others have stated, locations not impacted significantly by tidal flow can be fished in larger tides for longer periods of time. Locations were size of tides result in larger current flow, e.g. race rocks, constance, etc, need to fished safely when current flows are smaller. Small tides and less current flow, even around max, means you can fish them for much longer periods. Large tides in these areas have only a small window of time to safely and effectively fish, and perhaps, best not fished until you know the area. A large ebb or flood tide in such an area can increase in speed over a very short period of time. Consider current speed in these high current flow areas and plan to fish/anchor when the tides are less than 1.3 knots, look at the time frame for when this window occurs, and give yourself some leaway for bad weather.

hey Wagonmaster , wxtide 32 is the way to go. Spend a little time setting it up and it will serve you forever.Remember the tidal stations are few and far between and are very site specific. if you are out in the open (constance,border bank) you will get the full force of the current. Haro and the waterfront are generally softer tides. Think like a fish when you set up , Halibut hide behind structure facing into the current , you want to have your lines and scent in front of them , so that when the current slows they are dialed into your scent and will come check you out.
In regards to specific dates , I would concurr with Craven on the next "best" days. The fact is though , fish eat everyday and if you are in the right place at the right time , you will catch fish.

good luck

hey Wagonmaster , wxtide 32 is the way to go. Spend a little time setting it up and it will serve you forever.Remember the tidal stations are few and far between and are very site specific. if you are out in the open (constance,border bank) you will get the full force of the current. Haro and the waterfront are generally softer tides. Think like a fish when you set up , Halibut hide behind structure facing into the current , you want to have your lines and scent in front of them , so that when the current slows they are dialed into your scent and will come check you out.
In regards to specific dates , I would concurr with Craven on the next "best" days. The fact is though , fish eat everyday and if you are in the right place at the right time , you will catch fish.

good luck

quote:Originally posted by kelly

For some reason the people on this site are tight lipped about anything to do with halibut. Even though this is a fishing site which is suppose to help one another some people would rather tell you where to go and how to get there then to help.

Are you really complaining that people dont give enough info on this site? Imagine finding some out on your own and not being spoonfed the info by people who worked for it. [xx(]

Kelly, I was not tryng to get your fishing coordinates for that matter I couldn't care less. What I said was:
"For some reason the people on this site are tight lipped about anything to do with halibut. Even though this is a fishing site which is suppose to help one another some people would rather tell you where to go and how to get there then to help."
And you proved my point with your post.
Next time read a little more careful!!!
You too IFL!

Some people, Really!!!

fish.gif

Back