Golstream returns - WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by chinook

Some load fo dead chum in their as of today. Still lots of fresh ones in their. Very sad:(didn't see any coho.
They usually head above the highway bridge area

47,000 plus chum . 297 chinook .82 coho .As of nov19th .

tight lines

Those were the numbers posted on the board in the nature house. Just relaying info . Also talked with a young park guy but i don`t think he was very well informed ! He said the number were correct.Sorry if it`s wrong.

tight lines

Cuba i see that you raise valid points on rights of the native people and for that hats off to you bro! This thread has turned into a rasist one or getting very close to it! Shame on the other members to disgriminate on one way of gathering food for the winter! I do not see a problem with it if it is there right to do so! No laws are being broken for if there was the law would have done something by now right? Keep up your excellent posts bud! Not from the island but i did use to live in vic and fished all the rivers from top of the island to the bottom and it seems every river has it's issues but it's how you deal with those issues is how things get done!

CK

quote:Originally posted by coho_killer

Cuba i see that you raise valid points on rights of the native people and for that hats off to you bro! This thread has turned into a rasist one or getting very close to it! Shame on the other members to disgriminate on one way of gathering food for the winter! I do not see a problem with it if it is there right to do so! No laws are being broken for if there was the law would have done something by now right? Keep up your excellent posts bud! Not from the island but i did use to live in vic and fished all the rivers from top of the island to the bottom and it seems every river has it's issues but it's how you deal with those issues is how things get done!

CK

Missed the original discussion, but would like to comment on your thoughts about us discriminating on them 'gathering' for food..etc etc

For 1. I find it quite disgusting when our park has these signs up about the historic native 'spear' fishery, when you go for walks with your children and see the barbarians with the largest white man fishing net scooping them 5 at a time, and a nice aluminum baseball bat to finish them off. Try explaining that to your kids! Twice I've seen fishing like that there.

2. Gathering for food or gathering to try to sell to local merchants? Seems kinda 'curious' that that time of year some of the local restaurants get natives knocking on their doors a couple times a week trying to sell their fish....hmmmmm

That is why we tend to get emotional over the whole deal with natives. Use spears, continue tradition, gather for their own sustenance and ceremonies...great - fully supported here...BUT.......

So you consider all Indians/First Nations to be barbarians do you ?
Barbarian "wild or uncultured" noun and adverb
That is an extremely insulting and racist remark , by your own analogy you have condemned a lot of the Indians/First Nations people who were not there and don't support that kind of behaviour , well done !

AL

I was referring to the ones down there with large nets and baseball bats...yes....and I would call anyone I saw doing that a barbarian, native or not.
You are the one that decided I was implying all natives, but i'll clarify that was not the case.

one defintion:
A fierce, brutal, or cruel person.

pretty good summary of who my kids got to see thanks..

You make mention of the Indians/First Nations conducting a food fishery which is inclusive of that culture only and you state I imply the singling out of a specific culture when it occurs by that group off of the river mouth ?
No , you by reference made the implication , I do not support the methods they used but I also do not support your singling out of the cultural association of those people.
By doing so you then should include the other culture which uses drag nets and slaughters wholesale away from your immediate eye contact area if you add in everyone else who in one way or another wastes our fishing future fine , but you are parochial in singling out Indians/First Nations and thats what I take exception to.
Perhaps they should go back to the traditional ways which are just as efficient in allowing them to hammer on the fish as they come home then right ? ....... ie let them put in a fence and reduce the channel to a few feet and allow a multitude of people armed with cudgels and spears to annihilate them , would that satisfy you if they followed traditional methods ? .......... would be a very educational picture for the visiting children and their parents.

AL

The thing about the Goldstream is that it's easily accessable to the general public. The wise Victoria folks who know best visit a river bank and become experts. o to the Nass, Kispiox, Skeena, Fraser, the same goes on. Instead of pointing fingers, live in people's shoes first and understand legal claims that were founded at confederation. I am tired of this rhetoric, take some time and learn about Canada's history. I have found aboriginals respect the fishery more than us white folks.

I'm with Chrome on that one! In over 30 years of guiding I have personally seen tremendous abuse of rights from First Nations People. All were reported but it seems law enforcers would rather turn a blind eye to it then be known as a "Racist" as it seems to be the "Buzz Word" for anyone who speaks against these abusers. If only more people spoke up about this abuse, maybe someday something would be done about it. I think AL should get out more....You need a trip to Saskatchewan or Manitoba to open your closed eyes.

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Well look whose back !
Sorry for the late edit ..... but following the advice of others I will add , YHBT !

AL
Being a little paranoid aren't ya? So to you every newbie is a troll or THE trailer,etc. troll? Guess being treated as such the new member list will soon be silent. I'll bet Guy.... really feels like posting again. Shame it's come to this. :(

Or does every newbie have to kiss a** with 40 'ya,you're right',posts making darn sure the post doesn't contradict with even 1 other user, to qualify as an innocent person? Sorry to take thread off topic but all i'm saying is let someone post more than once before you jump down their throat. :)

Well it seems this post is the world according to AL. So I guess as long as everyone agrees with you then all is well? To quote you "Perhaps they should go back to the traditional ways which are just as efficient in allowing them to hammer on the fish as they come home then right ? ....... ie let them put in a fence and reduce the channel to a few feet and allow a multitude of people armed with cudgels and spears to annihilate them , would that satisfy you if they followed traditional methods ? .......... would be a very educational picture for the visiting children and their parents" Seems your eyes aren't as closed as I thought.

quote:Originally posted by ChromeSweetChrome

Now Ive heard everything....

(regarding natives showing more respect for the fishery than other resources)

As if your one to talk about respect for a fishery. Strip any fish for roe lately?[:0]

I know three native CO's that would completely disagree. Its a food fishery. Not for trophies or bait.It's unfortunate that a few bad apples spoil the bunch, but guides and sportfisherman are capable of displaying greed and barbarism as well, regardless of race.

No mention of the americans (and canadians) and their mobile campsite canning stations here, nor the mismanagement of stocks in order to keep those with commercial interests happy. These are bigger problems.

Limit your catch, don't catch your limit. The golden words, if everyone lived by that, we'd be in great shape. Unfourtunately too many are preoccupied with filling their card, their wallets and their freezers. We're all to blame for this mess.

Excuse me? If you took the time to look, it wasnt me that posted taking a coho for roe. For the books, I release 99% of the fish I catch. Also, dont know of any other user groups that kill fish on a regular basis in river systems that have endangered runs (eg. goldstream).Get out of here with your garbage posts Troll.

Originally posted by ChromeSweetChrome

Excuse me? If you took the time to look, it wasnt me that posted taking a coho for roe. For the books, I release 99% of the fish I catch. Also, dont know of any other user groups that kill fish on a regular basis in river systems that have endangered runs (eg. goldstream).Get out of here with your garbage posts Troll.
[/quote ]YHBT,your playing into it CSC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back