Fuel Sending Units - Replacement

Finished Business

I want to replace the sending units in my aluminum gas tanks (6" deep). I'm not sure where to start on this...did a google search and lots of sending units come up....

has anyone done this before and can offer some hints as to the route I should take.

I REALLY want a gauge that reads accurately and doesn't bounce around when under power.

Do they sell gauge and sending unit packages? Any help is appreciated!

thanks!!

-FB-

I too would be interested in the answer to your question. My fuel guage is not very precise or accurate and I would like to replace it with a better unit.

Did one on my boat two years ago. I was very worried about doing it right. My guage died one day and I had not choice. I bought a self contained kit from SG Power in Vic or Steveston Marine in Van (can't recall exactly but one of them). It came in a red/yellow package. The instructions were simple. I had to cut a section of the upright unit that goes into the tank to fit my specific tank. Connected it to the power source and it worked and worked accuately hence forward. It was not complicated.

....time for pictures lol

here is a company I came across that looks to make top quality stainless senders of a variety of lengths. It looks like they are compatible with any gauge that has the same ohms.

http://www.wemausa.com/

after pulling my senders out (it was literally 5 screws and out it came), I can see they are the old bobber style sender...which would explain a bouncing gauge.
There are gauges (liquid filled, Autometer makes some top-of-the-line gauges for Marine apps) that dampen vibration even more than traditional mechanical gauges. There are also digital gauges that are pretty accurate.

heres what the old ones look like....to reinstall new ones it looks like I just screw it in and hook up the wiring.

Attachments

• 0530121211a.jpg
    0530121211a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 146
The best fuel sending unit is the wema sender.It is a SS shaft with a float that slides up and down on the shaft. Just measure the depth of the tank IE 12 inches and get a 11 inch unit. awesome units

The best fuel sending unit is the wema sender.It is a SS shaft with a float that slides up and down on the shaft. Just measure the depth of the tank IE 12 inches and get a 11 inch unit. awesome units

exactly what I thought once I came across the WEMA senders...will be ordering soon! the darn things are keeping my floor up! lol

X2 or X3 on the donut float around the shaft. They work great and I think will last the life of your boat.

Finally got around to ordering, and receiving my new sending units and gauges. I went with the donut float senders, by WEMA USA. you can see the quality, full stainless steel. Direct MFG contact. Great company and products.

Also ordered 2 new fuel gauges, one analog (needle) gauge for my reserve tank, and one LED gauge for my main tank.
Went this route so that I never make a mistake when reading the gauges. I'd hate to accidentally read my reserve tank, when I should be reading the main, but at a quick glance on the water, I could see it happening. I figure this way is fool proof. Rather than combining one gauge to read both tanks (via a switch), the second gauge also gives me a back up should one of them fail. I will wire in a quick change fitting so if needed, I can switch them if one fails.

The LED Gauge worked out well for my main. It is 80 Gallons, the gauge has 8 lights (6 green 2 red, when getting low) so 10 gallons per LED light. It makes for easy math on the water when calculating travel time and distance. I will likely be ordering other gauges through WEMA as the quality is there and again, a direct company to deal with. Made in USA.

Attachments

• 0629120935a.jpg
    0629120935a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 0629120934b.jpg
    0629120934b.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 0629120934a.jpg
    0629120934a.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 100
Back