Fraser River Sturgeon - Sturgeon Tag for C/R

Finished Business

found out about this today....there is a $25 dollar sturgeon tag one needs to purchase if you want to fish for them in the fraser river this season. New for this year.

thought those who target them would like to know....

-FB-

Is that not just for freshwater(non tidal) portion of the fraser?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

You've needed one since 2008...

Is that so?? I just started targeting sturgeon last year, and have yet to hear from anyone of such a tag...the tackle stores, guys on the river..ect, until a few days ago I have never heard of it.

After a brief search I see no mention of it on any of the guiding websites or anything...until I just checked the gov't site....and I quote:

Since September 12, 2008, sport anglers taking part in the white sturgeon fishery in the lower and middle freshwater portions of the Fraser River watershed are required to carry a new White Sturgeon Conservation Licence (WSCL) in addition to a basic provincial angling licence.

The lower and middle portions of the Fraser River watershed (which includes the Fraser River tributaries), from the Mission Bridge to and including Williams Lake River in the Cariboo Region, are the only fresh waters in B.C. where it is legal to fish for white sturgeon in a unique catch-and-release fishery. All other fresh waters in B.C. are closed to sturgeon fishing.

All revenue generated from the sales of the WSCL will be directed to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation for use in sturgeon stock management activities.

End Quote.

news to me.....at least the money goes directly back to the fish...as far as that reads.

thanks Nitro....

Spent the day on the Fraser with STS Guides and what a day. I usually target salmon and this was my first sturgeon trip. We brought 19 sturgeon to the boat with only 2 less that 3 feet. Majority were in the 4-5 ft range with two (2) over 7 ft. My arms are so sore and tired that I can't type anymore so I am signing off. WoW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, tag needed for above Mission Bridge.... most guiding services fish below the bridge early in the season due to the limited eulachon run.... once you hit towards the end of the freshet then you are all over the river fishing these dinos!

On a side note, if you are looking for a very fun day, set yourself up with one of the guide services and fish above hope for dinos, unbelievable scenery, not much traffic and some nice fish to be had!

Mike

I fish for sturgies off wellingdon point in Ladner every other day. 6'ers can be had right off the dock... amazing

Short rod for leverage and heavy drag.

Most Sturgeon aren't all that strong-I can beat a 6' fish to the boat in under 5 minutes-unless it's a sea run fish.

I guess I meant, is the dock close enough to the water that you can safely land the fish and remove the hook? It's important to assess suitable areas to land them as the potential to hook into a large fish is there.

Back