FN signs MPA.

So, no concern about this, right?
FN will police this according to their rules.

This one is mostly over commercial shellfish rights but we all know how this will boil over into the rec fishery.

Franky tho its not worth spending brain power on what the government and first nations decide to do is almost completely out of our sectors control.

Nailed it agree WM.

Guys need to get past your various differences with FN and carve another way forward. Like it or not we are going to be working more closely with these communities. I see it more as an opportunity then anything negative.

I would say I am more concerned lately with divisiveness with of certain members within our groups. That seems more of threat than what FN is doing with MPA right now of you ask me.

Besides anyway I believe the Sidney anglers are actually going to have a new SFAB chair that looks after that area finally. I believe some of the members already have a good working relationship with FN in salmon project etc ? Sound like an opportunity there.

Just my view

and the sponge reefs are generally quite deep - I can't see anyone w/o hydraulics or a big trawl net trying it, neither. And have a look at many of the names publicly posted on the Pacific region convictions under the Fisheries Act and on another thread: https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/fisheries-fines-from-yesterday-no-names-no-pack-drills.92955/

I won't highlight cultural backgrounds - but it's pretty apparent to me whom many of the offenders are and their connections. The whole Scott Steer thing also leads there, as well:

and the sponge reefs are generally quite deep - I can't see anyone w/o hydraulics or a big trawl net trying it, neither. And have a look at many of the names publicly posted on the Pacific region convictions under the Fisheries Act and on another thread: https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/fisheries-fines-from-yesterday-no-names-no-pack-drills.92955/

I won't highlight cultural backgrounds - but it's pretty apparent to me whom many of the offenders are and their connections. The whole Scott Steer thing also leads there, as well:

So because you can't see "it" happening, it doesn't, hah
Just because the gov turns its back on going after and laying charges, and we ALL know why that happens, again means its not happening,
Its happening, the flight crews take the info, pass it on, and it goes nowhere , unless its a sector the authorities know dam well they will get convictions.
End of my replys to this thread

So because you can't see "it" happening, it doesn't, hah...
That's neither what I posted nor intended, SF. Most of the sponge reefs are generally quite deep. That's what I posted. The 7 in SoG are often 500 to 1000 fms (6 ft to a fathom), the 4 large ones in Hecate Strait ~100 fms. Most are 100-200 m or ~350-650 ft deep. Yes - you are correct - there are a number in Howe Sound - maybe 7 or so out of 15 in Howe Sound that are more in the 50-100m depth ranges and would be more accessible & attractive to handline hauling verses needing hydraulics/electrics. There is a good discussion on the difficulties of hand pulling gear from depths at:

The expected focus on where poaching may happen while not having hydraulics/electrics to haul gear would be more in the RCAs verses the sponge reefs. They are generally shallower. I wouldn't expect some random buddy observer in a plane to know depths or think of these differences - if he even exists or was quoted accurately.

Last edited:
Back