Fly fishing in Comox area

Ronster

Just received a fly tying kit for Christmas and have been watching several videos on tying flies and fly casting (sure hope its as easy as it looks). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for fly fishing lakes and rivers in Comox and Campbell River area. Any information on what flies to use at different times of year would also be greatly appreciated.

Boobies and chironomids are going to be your flies around this time of year, fish them on type 6 lines. Boobies with a 5ft leader, chironomids with a 2.5ft leader. Fish the chironomids vertically, and cast out the boobies and let the float off the bottom. I dont know of any lakes around the comox area, the flies I mentioned are for lakes only.

Kunni

Boobies and chironomids are going to be your flies around this time of year, fish them on type 6 lines. Boobies with a 5ft leader, chironomids with a 2.5ft leader. Fish the chironomids vertically, and cast out the boobies and let the float off the bottom. I dont know of any lakes around the comox area, the flies I mentioned are for lakes only.

Kunni

You said boobies....

[PZmYKuQGbRA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZmYKuQGbRA

Boobies and number 3 hooks is all you need!

Size 3 hooks? Where do you find those, I tie them on tiemco's #6, light dry fly hooks. I have never found an odd number hook apart from 1/0, 3/0, ect.

Kunni

You need the size 3's... Best fly hook ever

Hey Ronster, your in luck. This months edition of the Island Fisherman has an excellent fly tying feature . Pick it up at any of the sport fishing stores in the Valley.;) eman

hahaha :D and where may I find the best fly hooks ever?

Most tackle shops I go to usually have them hanging right beside the #5's..
drink_coffee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I am missing something? I rarely see odd number hooks, occasionally some of the custom sizes ect will have them but odd number hooks? Am I the only one that doesnt see them/tie on them that often?

Kunni

ok I am missing something? I rarely see odd number hooks, occasionally some of the custom sizes ect will have them but odd number hooks? Am I the only one that doesnt see them/tie on them that often?

Kunni

I think your sarchasm detector needs some work buddy!

LOL yup.. Enough messing with kunni..

Ronster start with something easy like a bugger, they work all year. Youtube is a great tool for learning different techniques for different flys and such.

LOL yup.. Enough messing with kunni..

Ronster start with something easy like a bugger, they work all year. Youtube is a great tool for learning different techniques for different flys and such.

Haha, its no problem. Its nice that people can actually have a laugh on this forum without everyone freaking out. :)

Kunni

Back