Fishing in Playa de Carmen

cohochinook

I am heading down to Playa de Carmen next week. Has anyone done any shore fishing from down there? Thinking of bringing a rod down with me. Thanks in advance.

They are getting pretty protective of their near shore reefs down there. A lot of places you can't even go snorkeling, where you could five years ago. Last time down I watched a fellow casting off the rocks near the resort early in the morning. No one shot him. There are some reasonable priced trips available for flats and other fishing a ferry ride across to Cozumel that I hope to try next time..

The actual beach at Playa is quite wavy and rough. perfect for surfing and playing.if you head south toward Akumal i’m sure you’ll find some rocky outcroppings to cast from. if you wanna make friends with the locals bring a cheap casting outfit with you for the kids. you’ll be a rockstar. if you do make it to Akumal Beach, have a cerveza at Beuna Vida beach bar. that entire area is among my favorite places in the world.

Akumal dive shop has pretty affordable panga trips out of there too if you wanted to get out in a boat...or just snorkel with the turtles and rays there. Also there's monster bone fish that hide under the boats in the closed fishing area but still cool to see.

I am heading down to Playa de Carmen next week. Has anyone done any shore fishing from down there? Thinking of bringing a rod down with me. Thanks in advance.
I have done the flats in Cozumel many times, decent fishing for small bones, chances at permits too, chucking flys

Back