Fishing in Dominica

H

herring

I will be working in Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) for the next month and will have lots of opportunities to fish. Haven't found much information on this area of the Carribean and wondered if anyone here had some info to share.

I'll be working offshore on a sailboat and will be bringing along an 8-weight fly rod, two med/heavy spinning rods, and a 250-pound handline. I'm expecting to find dorado, tuna, and barracuda. Any further insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Been to the Caribbean a bunch of times including Tobago, don't eat any Barracuda unless the locals say it's OK to do so.

So what do you want to know?

Dragging something colourful behind the boat will get you dinner easy enough, Blackfin don't fight all that hard but are decent eating, Yellowfin fight like hell but are more scarce depending, Dorado can be surprisingly picky but are the best eating/hardest fighting, most Barracuda fight like a wet sock.

Large Deadly Dick Salmon jigs (replace the hooks/rings with something large/tough) work well cast to feeding Tuna, cast out count to 5 and retrieve medium fast if that doesn't work Burn It!

Or lower it to the bottom off a reef and burn it up fast-something ugly and tasty is likely to grab it.

I did that on a reef near Tobago and hauled up some ugly SOB thing like you never seen and asked my buddy Curtis-WTH?

He said in a broad Caribbean accent "Dat is a delicacy Mon"![8D]

Been to the Caribbean a bunch of times including Tobago, don't eat any Barracuda unless the locals say it's OK to do so.

So what do you want to know?

Dragging something colourful behind the boat will get you dinner easy enough, Blackfin don't fight all that hard but are decent eating, Yellowfin fight like hell but are more scarce depending, Dorado can be surprisingly picky but are the best eating/hardest fighting, most Barracuda fight like a wet sock.

Large Deadly Dick Salmon jigs (replace the hooks/rings with something large/tough) work well cast to feeding Tuna, cast out count to 5 and retrieve medium fast if that doesn't work Burn It!

Or lower it to the bottom off a reef and burn it up fast-something ugly and tasty is likely to grab it.

I did that on a reef near Tobago and hauled up some ugly SOB thing like you never seen and asked my buddy Curtis-WTH?

He said in a broad Caribbean accent "Dat is a delicacy Mon"![8D]

Dogbreath,

Thanks for the advice. Althought I didn't ask in my original poste, I am interested in targeting bonefish on the flats if they're present. I haven't read anything about bonefish in this area, do you know if they're found in the waters around Dominica?

Bonefish are found in tropical waters all around the world.

Dominica is a chunk of rock that doesn't even have any beaches worthy of the name, you won't be doing any fishing for Bonefish around that island.

If you watch when locals are 'pulling seine', using a large beach seine to gather bait, you might see a few small Bones in with the Anchovies and whatnot.

If you know how to rig them they are a hot Marlin bait.[8D]

Back