Fishfinder/Chartplotter combos

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

I download torrent files all the time and YES you can download them:

http://torrentz.ws/search/Navionics

But just putting them on an SD card and putting them in your unit won't work. The real cards are not just files dumped on an SD card they are encrypted to prevent just the thing you guys are talking about.

It doesn't work. Thats why if you need a special card reader from Lowrance if you want to use the real cards on your computer: http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=LOWRANCE&ID=672336&ref=GB

The Navionics cards are not encrypted, they are formatted with a special sector size that the plotter looks for.

I MIGHT HAVE A WHOLE LOWRANCE SYSTEM IN A FEW DAYS ...A FRIEND ON MINE IS SWITCHING TO GARMIN....WILL POST DETAILS ONCE I FIND OUT WHAT IT IS...THREE YEARS OLD...HE BARELY USES HIS BOAT AS HE LIVE IN ARIZONA AND COMES UP TO FISH FOR 10 DAYS EVERY SUMMER....HIS BOAT IS KEPT UP HERE IN DRY STORAGE ....

Hi bayliner 101, did your buddy get his new system? What is he selling? I'm looking for a LCX 110, 111, 25c, 26c.

I bought a used Garmin handheld that came with BlueChart Americas 7.0. Bought on ebay, from Texas area. Got a reasonably good price, which I now find like most things is too good to be true. Looking into it, seems the deal with the BlueChart CD is you get an unlock code for one region, then you pay for the rest. Another unlock code is $80-150, depending on where you buy it, and new CDs are $80-150 depending on where you buy it. In other words, the CD I bought is pretty much useless.

Pretty sure I know the answer to my question, which is buck up and buy the unlock code and be done with it. But stung pride requires me to first see if there's any way to get it to work. It would be super if Garmin would allow re-locking the first area and unlocking another, but I know that's not going to work. Any other suggestions?

Garmon gps only uses "blue chart" to my knowledge
Therfore you need their "outside passage CA002R" chip.

GPS Discount $129.00 us dollars

General coverage of the Strait of Georgia and Queen Charlotte Strait from Saltspring Island north to the southernmost portion of Moresby Island with detailed coverage of Port Hardy, BC. Detailed coverage of the west side of Vancouver Island from Victoria, BC to Quatsino Sound, including Neah Bay, WA, Ucluelet, BC, Clayoquot Sound, and Nootka Sound

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Garmon gps only uses "blue chart" to my knowledge
Therfore you need their "Inside passage CA001R" chip.
GPS Discount $129.00 us dollars

Thanks for this. I hadn't noticed this CA001R includes west coast Van Island too. I may end up getting CA002R anyway though, as I want Nootka Sound. Figures, I bought this CD figuring I was all in, and now will have to buy TWO unlock codes. As they say "that's how they get you".

I've found unlock code certificates for $80 on Amazon, or $99 at Westmarine.

I just bought an older Garmin 182c with a couple of bluecharts.

I can now buy "a sounder that adds detailed sonar" (Garmin GSD 21).

Could someone tell me if its worth it to get this, and if it shows details like or as well as a fishfinder.

quote:Originally posted by serenity

I just bought an older Garmin 182c with a couple of bluecharts.

I can now buy "a sounder that adds detailed sonar" (Garmin GSD 21).

Could someone tell me if its worth it to get this, and if it shows details like or as well as a fishfinder.

yep... and yes it does!

Beware of Trojans!

If you download the above... make sure you do a system restore point or a back up, before you download!

Been there done that! :(

Beware of Trojans!

If you download the above... make sure you do a system restore point or a back up, before you download!

Been there done that! :(

Back