Fish storage at camp

Going forward if the service is available I’m going to look at getting the larger salmon and Hali’s done at a facility. I’ll just gut and cut the fish into say halves on the salmon and into 4 on the Hali’s and take them in. Especially the Hali’s. The rules on them make it very difficult to get the pieces into family sized portions on larger fish. We got lucky this year as we caught our large Hali the day before we went home. I put it in the freezer that night and we traveled home the next day. When we get home it was only partially frozen so I was able to then take the pieces and cut then down to family portions and vacuum seal them.

Yes this ^ I also clean, de gill, and pressure bleed our fish as soon as they are caught then they go on ice in coolers or fish kill bags until getting back to camp after the fishing is over. And I'm sippin' on some good old smooth whiskey while the fish processing is going on. I don't wait till it's done to crack open beers or sip the whiskey :) Then tie up some gear if needed, hot shower and hit the sack. If weather is going to be too rough to go out the next morning then the poker chips and cards come out.
This is the same way we do it. Fish straight in to fish cooler on back of boat. Rods and gear back down, High 5's and then pressure bleed and gill fish. We have a trough that hangs off the side of boat totally out of the way, when things slow down gut them and clean them. And then into are clean cooler with salted ice.

Back