First Nations letter on Fraser Early Chinook.

Just need to know do those fish also come down the georgia strait??? no mention of that???they want us to not fish but they are!!!!!NICE

What a bunch of bull$hit....
Ok for them to fish the endangered stocks but not any other group ???
[V]

These hatchery winter's are not going back to the Fraser anyway:(

Cheers All:

The problem with this "position" is that it "butt"umes that other aboriginal groups/individuals respect other aboriginal groups/individuals which does not happen. Every opportunity is seized to take for their own and, in this way, the entire system is thrown out of wack.

A much better way would be to have a commercial terminal fishery at the mouth of the river, give every aboriginal the equivalent of 1 fish/day and then prohibit ANY native fishing upstream. Anyone caught fishing would immediately be charged. Then, if the aboriginal groups were really concerned about this stock they could also enforce a seperate process, up to and including banishment.

Thinking it is high time for someone to lobby for our rights, after all, who is paying for everything?

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

I must say though that all First nations are starting to change, We are all to blame I have seen a lot so far in my life regarding this but remember when a FN cmmercial boat set a net off of craycroft they were great to watch as they released all the coho,springs with kid gloves while the others (white) grabbed by the tails and tossed them.
Also last year dont know the band but they we not going to take fish as the normally do in the need of conservation in the lower fraser.
So there is some good out there!!!

Wolf

A quick search shows total aborginal ancestry at 170,025 in BC alone. A fish a day is over 6,200,000 per year.

The river mouth terminal fishery is a great idea - allows selective fishing while guaranteeing (in as much is possible) the resource. Imagine an ocean recreational fishery combined maybe with a high-end (quality) troll fishery. While not foreseeing the many pitfalls that I'm sure would exist, it would appear to be a good option for the sports and the resource.

The government is highly unlikely to entertain the idea (unless forced by a group like the FN) because it speaks directly to FN control. I'm actually somewhat surprised that the FN haven't demanded this before now.

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

Cheers All:

The problem with this "position" is that it "butt"umes that other aboriginal groups/individuals respect other aboriginal groups/individuals which does not happen. Every opportunity is seized to take for their own and, in this way, the entire system is thrown out of wack.

A much better way would be to have a commercial terminal fishery at the mouth of the river, give every aboriginal the equivalent of 1 fish/day and then prohibit ANY native fishing upstream. Anyone caught fishing would immediately be charged. Then, if the aboriginal groups were really concerned about this stock they could also enforce a seperate process, up to and including banishment.

Thinking it is high time for someone to lobby for our rights, after all, who is paying for everything?

Fishing Guide

You should also never assume that this could not happen.

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

Cheers All:

Fishing Guide

You should also never assume that this could not happen.

Back