finally transport canada returned my call

Island Fish Lifter

George the inspector called me back. I had a short but informative conversation with him. Heres the scoop: the guidelines are open to interpritation. Deck drain scuppers do not need shut off valves, that will make you grady white islander owners very happy!
Downrigger booms are acceptable side railings, but a rear railing is needed. You can be creative with this, it can be removable.
Hope this helps.. these answers were straight from george the inspector.

Would you beleive that in order to get my boat to pass I had to have a method of getting my scuppers to seal and to install a bilge pump on the working deck of my boat. I could not beleive that I had to do this but it was a relatively cheap solution and it made the problem go away so I just did it.

I had to cut off my old scupper covers, weld on some short peices of pipe and weld on slightly wider scupper covers. I now keep plumbing pressure testing bungs on board as a method of closeing off the scuppers so the bilge pump can then clear the working deck. Makes absolute sense to me - NOT!!!

The only time this bilge pump sees any action is when I test it each year as part of my annual inspection :(

Good for a laugh, I was just required to put rear rails on my boat. They gave me a year to do it. Never said a word about my scuppers. A shutoff valve hard plummed from my fuel tank etc.

Each guy i know gets a diffrent list of gadgets that TC has to see and the storey changes on a routine basis.

I have a ditch kit with backup waterproof handheld gps, handheld vhf, flares, rockets, you name it. TC concern is the extra batteries???

The one that gets me is that we are required to have a certain model # VHF. My DSC Raymarine 53 set up for DSC distress and automatic GPS positioing when Emerg button is held. I can talk to guys in Sooke from Swiftsure with this thing. Nope, not good enough, they want the Ray 54. Anyonre else told this?

I sure am glad i did the week long Med A1 and A2 as per Borris at the time, now the one day Med 3 is sufficient.

SVOP now mandatory by 09? this is how you dock and anchor a boat. Can we show them how to anchor at East Race in between a 5 kt current:D

Fish Lifter, the storey will change a dozen times in a month if the up island inspector is anything like what us South Island guys deal with.[:p]

Last inspection they just looked for a DSC radio with no conversation on model #'s, I hope I don't have another purchase/install in my future :(

I already have to install safety glass on the front/side windows this year as my 3 year timer is running out on that requirement. I'm not a big fan of safety glass in small metal boats as I've seen windshields explode when pounding through hard weather, but alas that's what I'm going to have to do to pass.

PS on the side/rear rails it is possible to get an exception if you use your boat for dive charters as side rails make back roll entries impossible and rear rails make swim grid retrevals impossible. We accepted a requirement to have guests wear mustang inflatables at all times but had the railings requirement disappear. We were very happy with this as we have guest wear their mustangs at all times anyways.

Anyone certified a boat with a transom having a cut out and splash tray? We are thinking of commercially certifying a North River 19' Mariner but I'm concerned they will make me modify the transom mount to bring the stern up to the side rail hieght to pass the stability test. I'd have to weld in a plate across the stern at the back of the splash tray to bring it up to the hieght of the side gunnels which would look goofey but if that's what I have to do...

Check out that new Strataglass SIR, it is like the flexable clear plastic window used on side curtains only much thicker and scratch resisitant. I used it above my front windows with a zipout, super clear as glass and no scratches yet.

sir,
If you post a pic or email it to me and include a detailed description of what you want to do, I will find out for you. Ive been conversing back and forth with george the inspector this morning and we now have a working relationship. I have a number of contracts to bring boats to code. I proposed to him that I could be one of his "middle men" in the way that I can guarantee a passed inspection. Anyway, this is where im at.

Her is what you need by April 1st 2008
After Meeting with DOT this week.

Valid CO numbers on your boat

Med 3 Course or proof that you are enrolled.

VHF Operators License or proof you are enrolled in the course

Either be inspected or have proof of a request for inspection.

All up to date required safety gear including WCB First Aid Kit

TC Certified PFD's for everyone on board

All this Must be on board your boat by April 1st and yes they are already doing inspections and handing out fines and warnings and if enough infractions pulling your boat out of service til you comply. As we speak they are out on the water on the east coast of VI pulling water taxi's /crew boats / charter boats over and will soon if not all ready starting on WCVI.

Yes Island Fish Lifter you a right on the money with your down rigger / aft rail comment.

JFYI: April 2009 you will also require SVOP Small Vessel Operation Proficiency Certificate

Cheers ME

Ahhhh...big brother and all his minions at work for you and me...
Just more reasons to board and inspect under the guise of safety.
Sure glad I don't have to deal with this crap anymore....
By the way, Kevin, what is a WCB first aide kit...
Are you refering to a Work Safe OFA 1, 2,or 3 etc.
If DOT insists on any first aid kit, will that mean training to use it at some future date?

yea, this may be hard to swallow for some. If you prefer to look at it in a negative way, than thats the way its going to be. Minions? Whatever... Its going to be what its going to be. I love what I do so if it means doing a little extra work to keep making it happen, than thats what Ill do. And I will not be intimidated by negative attitudes. I cant imagine going through life thinking everyones out to board my boat under the "guise of safety".

I have a way around the railing issue...e-mail me and I will send pics and info....passed TC no issues....cost around $100.00

A quick solution for your skuppers is to buy a ball valve attachment to replace the rubber flapper. George was happy with mine - no issues. Yes you can use your Scotty's as side rails, but you do need either a rear rail, fish cleaning table or cable across the stern. Other tip is make sure you always have your TC Inspection certificate on board with you at all times.

Biggest beef I have with the program so far is a lack of enforcement. There are way too many guys thumbing their noses up at the process. Has anyone heard if TC is finally going to ramp up enforcement??

If anyone is not certified and up to date with the TC regs, they will find a huge change in the number of boats being boarded this year...as Kevin stated there is a concerted effort underway already in many areas to make sure the charter fleet and many other small commercial vessels under complying....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

If anyone is not certified and up to date with the TC regs, they will find a huge change in the number of boats being boarded this year...as Kevin stated there is a concerted effort underway already in many areas to make sure the charter fleet and many other small commercial vessels under complying....

Thats what they said last year, we had a little flurry last spring in Saanich Inlet, and that was it. I hope they are serious, I really don't want to feel like I've wasted all my time on the BS I have gone through.

MY comments, and they are just that, were not and are not intended to intimidate. If you don't agree with my comments, thats fine.
I do, however, still don't agree that the charter operators on THIS coast, have had a safety record that justifies the extent of these regulations. They are there to regulate the operators, not the boats. If the later was the case, then why is it that owners can rent out boats without a guide and are exempt from any of the requirements?
I have met a number of the enforcement personal and they are just doing as they are instructed by the people whom sign their cheques. Hence the minion moniker. All were very agreeable people too.
Glad they were able to return your calls, though.

quote:Originally posted by blueorca

MY comments, and they are just that, were not and are not intended to intimidate. If you don't agree with my comments, thats fine.
I do, however, still don't agree that the charter operators on THIS coast, have had a safety record that justifies the extent of these regulations. They are there to regulate the operators, not the boats. If the later was the case, then why is it that owners can rent out boats without a guide and are exempt from any of the requirements?
I have met a number of the enforcement personal and they are just doing as they are instructed by the people whom sign their cheques. Hence the minion moniker. All were very agreeable people too.
Glad they were able to return your calls, though.

Nothing wrong about being honest. Anyone with history in the workings of the DOT, would concure. Your points ARE valid.

This program IMO is laughable, at best. And it's only going too get better. [:0] [xx(]

Back