Feeders

Dave S

Just wondering what size you guys keep or release in the way of feeders? I personally think a 10lb'r is legit but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I don't get out that much and don't have a freezer full of salmon.

There is no legit, just legal. I prefer a 3 to 5 pound feeder during the winter if I keep any at all. I don't eat frozen salmon so for me its fresh for dinner then enough left for a sandwich or 2 the next day. If I do keep a bigger one then I give them away to neighbors, family or friends. I keep 3 or 4 large summer springs each year for candy, (only salmon in my freezer) smoked/canned or plain canned....that is my yearly on hand supply.

I shake off anything under 6 lbs .
Most of my buddies agree that an 8-10lb winter spring
is the best eating salmon there is.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

There is no legit, just legal. I prefer a 3 to 5 pound feeder during the winter if I keep any at all. I don't eat frozen salmon so for me its fresh for dinner then enough left for a sandwich or 2 the next day. If I do keep a bigger one then I give them away to neighbors, family or friends. I keep 3 or 4 large summer springs each year for candy, (only salmon in my freezer) smoked/canned or plain canned....that is my yearly on hand supply.

I agree, I like putting fresh fish on the table and too me, size has nothing to do with that.

I'll generally try to gauge how the fishing may be for the day and release smaller fish from the start but if things look slow I'm keeping anything legal for the dinner table.

Bottom line the annual limit is 20. Better to limit the number of spawners and take more of the smaller fish of which many won't make it to adult size anyway. Often I get my 3 to 5 pounder on a charter...it is a bleeder that would die if released. The customers get it if they don't limit out, I get it and mark it on my license if they do limit on bigger fish.

inside here a legal chinook @ 62 cm minimum looks so small......and thats about 6 lb to 8.5 lbs so just can't imagine keeping one of those 'outside' 45 cm chinooks.

Better to take what you WILL use than to take more and waste it.

Better to take what you WILL use than to take more and waste it.

I agree with you completly. I only keep what I will eat and feed my family with, but I am just wondering if it is more sustainable to release a chinook that is just legal in hopes that it will get bigger?

Wouldn't it make more sense to release a spawner that had survived
in the ocean 3-5 years and had potential to repopulate ?
I hear lots of complaining about retention of feeder springs
in the winter, but most of them are hatchery fish.
Also no guarantee that even a small number will ever survive to become spawners.

Would trade 3 x 10lbers for a 30lb any time , my crew may disagree ,:(

but... not as much motivaton required to pull one outta the freezer to prep..[:eek:)]

fd

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

The smaller the fish the higher the rate of mortality...starting at the egg stage. So taking smaller fish is actually better...you are more likely to be taking a fish that wouldn't make it to be an adult. Taking adult fish is far worse as they are the 1 or 2% that have beaten all the odds. Not that I'm suggesting we stop taking adult fish. We just have to be way more careful with how many adult fish we do take.

The smaller the fish the higher the rate of mortality...starting at the egg stage. So taking smaller fish is actually better...you are more likely to be taking a fish that wouldn't make it to be an adult. Taking adult fish is far worse as they are the 1 or 2% that have beaten all the odds. Not that I'm suggesting we stop taking adult fish. We just have to be way more careful with how many adult fish we do take.
I agree with this reasoning to some extent but the taking of mature fish is obviously not a problem as long as there are enough left for escapement. Take them early or take them late really doesn't matter I guess as a dead fish is a dead fish. Again , as long as there are enough returning. My concern however is that in Vancouver there are often a huge amount of 45-62 cm fish in the area in the winter and spring time. If DFO decided to allow our present 'undersize' to become legal ( there was talk of lowering the legal length down from 62cm a while back) that that could adversly effect the number of bigger legal size fish available to all fishers later that season and the following year in Georgia Strait.

Question: Why then does DFO have a 62 cm size limit in Georgia Strait .....and not 45 cm ?

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

I can hear the DFO clip board jotting this stuff down...

Smiley66
Yeah based this thread DFO might open us to 30 cm grilse as they left fresh water but close down the 3-5 year olds as they made their way back and off the river mouth....that is if any of the grilse made it out past the fishers going for that lovely young flesh ;) lol

Just take 'em. Otherwise, they'll just wind up in the Area G trawl, a gillnet, a seal, what crap, crab food, fish farm food, etc, so just take only what you need and enjoy it. Besides, %80 of feeders are hatchery fish that have been put there for anglers to use, so just use them. If it is a small wild feeder that is lip hooked, and fishing is good, I'll toss him gently back.

I don't freeze any fish that I don't eat right away. I have a much more expensive, less convenient and very way of getting fish for dinner when I need it:D

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by marula

Bottom line the annual limit is 20.

Exactly ! As long as you stay in your limits there is no issue.
Actually the discussion or 'issue' I was entering was about SIZE limit on outside 45 cm vs inside 62 cm .... annual limits was not the issue although if they changed size limit from 45 cm to 62 cm or vice versa that could have a different effect on the fishery if more small fish were part of the annual amount retained.
BTW You might want to check that annual limit number ! Last I checked 15 inside/ 30 total

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

quote:Originally posted by marula

Bottom line the annual limit is 20.

Exactly ! As long as you stay in your limits there is no issue.
BTW You might want to check that annual limit number ! Last I checked 15 inside/ 30 total</u>

Great point as alot of folks get confused by this. Some area's it's even less like 10 if I recall. I only fish the outside and I'm up to 17 so far this year smallest being 10 lbs.

I have zero problem with folks taking legal fish for eating etc. I am a meat fisherman first and proud of feeding my family with the rich resources our ocean provides. I do respect the folks that release some of the true giants in any species of fish and it shows true sportsmanship and conservation. Most of those folks have been there and done it however and I have no problem either with the once in a life time fish that some folks take.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Well the area I fish (area 20) is 20 per year. On the inside your annual limit of the fish I'm keeping for dinner is 0 not 15. :D

Well the area I fish (area 20) is 20 per year. On the inside your annual limit of the fish I'm keeping for dinner is 0 not 15. :D
lol, good one!

Back